Author Topic: BREEN  (Read 6464 times)

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BREEN
« on: Saturday 20 March 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information on the BREEN family that lived at Crosscoolharbour, Blessington in the 1800s.  TIMOTHY BREEN born about 1800 married ANNE NOWLAN (possibly Nolan) at Castledermot in Co. Kildare in 1837.  Their first child appears to be a WILLIAM BREEN, and I know they also had a MARGARET.

Needless to say I would love to hear from anyone connected to this family.  I am also trying to find out where the early Catholic Church Records for Blessington are held.   The records at the National Library commence early 1850s.  I know for sure that earlier records do exist as I have used IFHF.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: BREEN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
There are some details mentioned of earlier records for the RC parish of Blessington on the Irish Times website, but they only go back to about 1823 - see : Blessington RC Records

Some seem to be held by the Wicklow Family History Centre, which I believe to be part of the IFHF. Ryan's Irish records mention that some records are missing for this parish - baptisms Aug 1825-May 1830 &  June 1830-Feb-1833, and marriages Aug 1825-Aug 1826. He also states that at least some of these records may still held locally.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 10 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot Shane for that information.

I paid for the two baptisms, but there is a discrepancy with the mother's forename on one of them, and I have asked IFHF to check that there hasn't been a transcription error but they haven't come back to me.   I guess I shall have to be patient !!

Thanks again for yours
Joy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 10 11:44 GMT (UK) »
The Crosscoolharbour area is very close to the county border ...it might be worth considering some of the neighbouring Kildare parishes if those records dont add up..

Shane.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 March 10 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.   I know the area quite well, and I also know that they lived there at the time of Tithe Applotments and Griffiths Valuatiion.   They also died there, but haven't as yet found where they were buried.   I have investigated Burgage (taking loads of headstone photos etc. for IGP Archives when there) and also of course looked in Cantwells, but nothing has turned up so far.  I do have full details on the life of Margaret Breen (my direct line) but of course would like to know more about the BREENs

Thanks again
Joy