Author Topic: Ysceifiog  (Read 2595 times)

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ysceifiog
« on: Sunday 21 March 10 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me flesh out my Wetherell family's history? My great-great grandfather William was a horse trainer and shortly after 1847, moved to Ysceifiog from Cheshire.  Several children were born there (and two others at least buried there) between 1849 and 1854.  The address given on the birth certificates was the Stables.

I believe that the site of the Stables can still be identified, though no longer in existence (local BBC report), but can anyone give me more information about the place, a map reference, if possible, and suggest who William might have worked for?

Many thanks.
Warkworth
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ysceifiog
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 March 10 19:56 GMT (UK) »
The stables was part of the old Holywell racecourse, I believe there is someone else on here who had relatives who lived in the stables but I forget if it was the same time as yours although I think it might have been, I am sure they will contact you in due course. I do have Yceifiog Parish records but unfortunately only up to 1812 so I can not help you there I am sorry.

Sarah

this is the link to the other post sorry I can't look into it in more details but I have 1500 words to put in an essay by morning  ::)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,415040.0.html
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 March 10 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Are you familiar with Google maps?

On this, enter Pantasaph.
A pointer will appear centre screen.
Move the screen so that the pointer is at top right.
Switch to satellite view.
You should then see the outline of the old racecourse.
You should also see a minor road running North/South, crossing the A55 expressway.
Now, roughly in the middle of the screen you should see 8 large buildings (South West from the original pointer)
Across the minor road and a little further south you'll see a smaller cluster of buildings.
According to the original (c1870) OS map, this is, or was The Stables.

If you have any problems finding it, I can send you a PM with a section of the old map attached.

Tecwyn.
Savage, Hoskins, Wigley, Edwards, German, Jacks

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 March 10 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Sarah and Tecwyn

Thank you both very much for your replies.  I'm following them up post haste.

Warkworth
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Ysceifiog Monumental Inscriptions.

William Alfred Wetherell 18/1/1852. S/O William & Mary.
George Wetherell. 5/3/1853. 2+8m. S/O William & Mary.

Paul.

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Paul.  I actually found these in the MIs only a couple of weeks ago. We don't know where the Alfred came from - the name on his birth certificate is just William.  Unless the first one died and this is a second, but it's not a family name.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the parish registers, so I should probably request a look-up.

Warkworth

Offline thedrumdoctor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 May 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
I've used that service here:

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/lookups.html

They were very helpful and pretty quick.
Martha Davies, b1884 (location unknown), adopted by William & Sarah Williams of Ty Isa Farm, Caerwys

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 May 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you, thedrumdoctor, for the link.  I will stop procrastinating and request a lookup!

Warkworth