Author Topic: William Holton and daughter Mary of Market Deeping - Completed  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William Holton and daughter Mary of Market Deeping - Completed
« on: Wednesday 24 March 10 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out what became of two individuals and have run into a dead end on both. This may be down to the restrictions of information available on the internet or maybe down to the limitations of my experience in resolving these sort of difficulties.

My first objective is to reconstruct the ancestry of William Holton. The facts I have are that he married Mary Brewer in Langtoft in 1793 and that he was at that time resident in Market Deeping. He has, at least, two children, Joseph and Mary, born in 1795 and 1800 in Market Deeping.  His widow, Mary, dies as a widow in February 1840 in Market Deeping, so that provides a range of October 1800 to February 1840 for his death. The informant on the death certificate gives no significant information. There is no sign of him in the Market Deeping FreeREG burial records (coverage up to 1812) nor in the NBI records index. He does not appear in the FreeREG or IGI baptisms for Market Deeping. I did hope, at least, that I would be able to find his death age and that would give me some clue as to his date of birth, which is more than I have now.

My second objective is to find out what happened to his daughter, Mary. Again, she does not appear in the FreeREG Market Deeping burial records nor the NBI records index. I can not find a likely marriage for her, although there is something of gap between 1812-1899 in the FreeREG coverage and there is also no IGI coverage from what I can see. I have not found anything in the BMD marriage records post-1837. I have searched census records using first name only, place and date of birth and reconstructed several possibles but they have not resulted in anything.

I am not necessarily asking for someone to find the information for me, although that would be a great help, but I wonder if someone has also had these sort of challenges and whether they could advise on the best way to progress my research. I do not live near Lincoln and am wary of hiring a researcher with such open ended targets.

Thanks

Clive
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Holton and daughter Mary of Market Deeping
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have found William in the NBI :)

Burial 8 May 1833 Market Deeping
William HOTTON (68)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Holton and daughter Mary of Market Deeping
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Excellent - that looks very promising and thank you.

Is the source Parish record likely to carry any more information? It may be well worth my while obtaining a copy from Lincolnshire Archives if so.

Clive
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Holton and daughter Mary of Market Deeping - Completed
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 March 10 07:00 GMT (UK) »
I have been PM'd with the following information on Mary Holton:

Mary Holton Burial 1 June 1801 Mkt Deeping. The source is Lincs FHS Baps & Burials index 1754-1812 Aveland & Ness Deanery.

I will order copies of these burial records from Lincoln Archives just as a final confirmation.

Thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated, and my search now starts for William Holton born somewhere in 1765-ish.

Clive