Author Topic: Information please -re Dr Dennis Coulthard Graham  (Read 1964 times)

Offline proud to be welsh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information please -re Dr Dennis Coulthard Graham
« on: Thursday 25 March 10 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Please can anyone give me any information re Dr Dennis Coulthard Graham born Carlisle Dec 1929, died Edinburgh Oct 2002.

He was my couisn twice removed. I have received info about him from the RSE, regarding his work as a biological scientist, but I would love to hear from people who knew him. He lived in Caiystone Gdns in Edinburgh according to the info I have for the 1970's +1980's. He also attended Edinburgh University and lectured there.

He married Elizabeth Fraser in 1968 in Edinburgh. She was born in Palmerston, New Zealand. They had no children.

I am researching the Bruton family tree and Dennis is the missing link for my great uncl Jabez Bruton

I would appreciate any info

Thanks
Bruton - Gloucestershire. Canada
Potter - London. Australia.
Porter/Potter: New Zealand
Marlborough - Herfordshire
Pearson - London
Barnes - London. Canada. Charlwood, Surrey
Candy - Wiltshire. Cardiff. South Africa

Offline russula

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Information please -re Dr Dennis Coulthard Graham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi - idly googling and found your message. Did you ever get any replies?

I first met him and Betty in 1964. He became my boss, so I have some knowledge of them both.

Not sure with this site how one communicates privately?

Offline proud to be welsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 12 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there

It would be wonderful to hear what you know about Dennis. I have been in touch with his brother and sister in laws in New Zealand, but they are in their 80's now and found it difficult to communicate. I have also been in touch with a former neighbour of Dennis'd mother Renee (Irene) who died in 1988 in Edinburgh.

Googling is a great thing. Once I found out about Dennis's death via the RSE I sent for his death certificate which gave me Betty's maiden name. I googled her full name and I came upon her grave where her ashes were buried with her parents in New Zealand. I also found an an obituary for her which gave the undertakers name in Edinburgh. I phoned them, they passed me on to her solicitors who wrote to her brother, who then wrote back to me.

It was a lot of detective work but well worth it.

I will click on your user name as that usually leads to private replies where I will pass on my e-mail address. I can't wait for more information. Dennis was a reamrkable man by all accounts. Having read some of his research on potato blight,it was amazing. Hopefully you will be able to tell me more about the man himself. I have a lovely photo of him in his post graduate gown sent to be by his in laws.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Bruton - Gloucestershire. Canada
Potter - London. Australia.
Porter/Potter: New Zealand
Marlborough - Herfordshire
Pearson - London
Barnes - London. Canada. Charlwood, Surrey
Candy - Wiltshire. Cardiff. South Africa

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 12 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Russula and Proud to be Welsh

Russula, welcome to RootsChat  :)

Once you have posted another couple of times here on the main boards, your Private Message service (PMs) is activated and this is a good way to exchange personal details, such as personal emails.

To access this quickly, just click on someone's small green scroll under their username on the l/h side. See also www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk