Author Topic: Drayton? in Middlesex?  (Read 12895 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Drayton? in Middlesex?
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 05:51 GMT (UK) »
In my post #60 dated 28 Jan 2018 I listed a Hannah Sarah daughter of Daniel and Charlotte Hill born 1828, I have rechecked the entry in the relevant PR in Ancestry, she is actually Hannah Sarah the daughter of Daniel and Charlotte Hull

The details on Ancestry.com does list her surname as Hull but when I viewed the Parish Baptism Register entry for her the other day I thought the surname looked more like Hill than Hull.  The PR page is blurry and not easily read, however when today I enlarged the entry and looked at it through a magnifying glass things became a tad clearer.  What I thought was the dot in Hill turned out to be part of the left hand upright of the H.

Sorry about that :-[
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for investigating further and clearing that up :)
Hastings: Essex, Middlesex, Bucks and Berks. Canada too
Bullen: Essex, Canada, Australia

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Caroline's sister Sarah Hill who would have been born anywhere between 1837 and 1839 depending on which census you want to believe... finding her birth is an issue. From everything I have seen and using the process of elimination the most likely candidate may be Sarah Hill who was baptized May 17, 1839 in Hayes, Hillingdon. The parents names are not on the parish register. It looks like someone made an error and crossed it off and then never bothered to fill in the info. All of the other children on the page have their parents named.

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 20:15 GMT (UK) »
The image for the 1839 Hayes Sarah says adult
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh! Meaning that Sarah was christened as an adult? Well I guess that eliminates her then  :D

Thank you!

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I did find Sarah's marriage on May 27, 1855 in Hammersmith. Her age is stated as 18 which would make her born in 1837. If I understand correctly births before September 1837 were not registered which helps explain why it is so hard to find exactly when and where she was born.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 01 February 18 01:34 GMT (UK) »
I spent yesterday afternoon in a frustrating search for Thomas Hill the son of Daniel Hill and his wife Charlotte Webb, the frustrating part was the search on Ancestry.com, it was playing silly beggars.

The 1851 Census for St Luke Chelsea shows a son Thomas living with his parents, Thomas is stated as having been born at Hillingdon Middlesex and aged 26 which would see him born about 1825.

I searched Ancestry, Family Search and Free Reg but couldn't find him anywhere other than the 1851 Census, I tried using Hillingdon, Middlesex England and just Middlesex, England in the searches.

Posts by Doug and familydar mention Hayes Hillingdon Middlesex so I'm wondering if mention of that as the birthplace in a search whether that would find him, I'll give it a try later time permitting.

Using a search time frame of 1825 + & - 5 years threw up loads of Thomas Hills but not the right one. :(  ;D

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 01 February 18 01:59 GMT (UK) »
We have a James Hill that shows up on one census and a Thomas that shows up on another. Both are about the same age. I saw a family tree at Ancestry today that had him as James Thomas Hill b. 1827. I didn't check if they had a source for that. I do know they had the death date wrong. They had it as 1896 and it was an infant that died on that date.

A page or two back you had a list of Hill kids' christenings which I  believe you gleaned from parish records. There is a "James" on that list. I would think that if he was really "James Thomas" that would have been the name used in the parish record.

Needs more investigation I guess.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 01 February 18 03:38 GMT (UK) »
We have a James Hill that shows up on one census and a Thomas that shows up on another. Both are about the same age. I saw a family tree at Ancestry today that had him as James Thomas Hill b. 1827. I didn't check if they had a source for that. I do know they had the death date wrong. They had it as 1896 and it was an infant that died on that date.

A page or two back you had a list of Hill kids' christenings which I  believe you gleaned from parish records. There is a "James" on that list. I would think that if he was really "James Thomas" that would have been the name used in the parish record.

Needs more investigation I guess.

I have seen that James Thomas Hill in an Ancestry tree and I have seen it in the Ancestry PRs, he is not the son of Daniel and Charlotte.

Had another crack at finding Thomas Hill circa 1825 this morning, couldn't find a Thomas Hill child of Daniel and Charlotte.

The nearest I came to Thomas was a Thomas Hill born 17 Aug 1725 and bap 30 Aug 1825 at City of London, St Swithin London Stone, unfortunately his parents are Daniel and Ann Hill.

So where or if he was baptised I haven't a clue and I'm at a loss to know how to further search for him, I'm beginning to wonder did Daniel Hill and Charlotte Webb really have a son named Thomas.

The 1851 had two children, Sear (Sarah) Hill born abt 1839 at Chelsea and Thomas born 1849 at Northolt, both labelled as being daughter and son of Daniel and Charlotte Hill, several people including myself suspect they are grandchildren, so is it possible that same census got it wrong with stating Thomas was a son?  ???