Author Topic: Samuel Harrison baker/confectioner  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Daisy01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Harrison baker/confectioner
« on: Saturday 27 March 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I'm looking for information on Samuel Harrison 1815 -1885 Belper, he had a baker/confection shop on Bridge St Belper 1861- 1881. (no number of shop given on census)
Does anyone know anything about this shop?Is it still there? Anything about the family?

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Harrison baker/confectioner
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if any of these are to do with your Samuel Harrison but these references comes up on A2A

Letter, Sam. Harrison of Belper Derbs. to Wilson  DD/WR/24/135-137  15-22 July 1865 (Nottingham
Archives).

Derbyshire Record Office

Contents:
Property in Bridge Street, Belper inc Flax Yard, Wild Closes
(Haslam - Slater - Harrison - Richardson - Strutt)
Including
D3722/T14/9/8 Copy will of Abraham Harrison 1830

Tressle

Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 10 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Possibly Samuel's shop was next door to the Lord nelson PH

1861 Samuel is living 3 houses away from Nottingham Arms -next door to him are the Walkers -occ publican
1881 Walker next door still publican -no pub named
1871 Samuel is next door to Walker -publican of the Lord Nelson -next there is the Cheshire Cheese P.H.

The Lord Nelson is a pub which has kept its name through the years -it  is at 78 bridge St belper -you can find it on Google earth -across the road from belper fish bar -the shop next door is a Kitchen/bathroom place -but it looks like it was part of the pub at one time -then there is a pizza place which may have been Samuels

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz and Tressle for the information .

I've not got an Abraham in my tree , well not that i know of .I'll check into the info you gave just in case.

I'll look on Google Earth and see if i can find the pizza place.

Thanks again, Daisy.

Offline Motorbikerdave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 July 21 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy please get in touch with me
This was my direct ancestors I spent years researching back to this point in bridge street and beyond I’m 5 down the line from this my name is Dave Harrison and would love to hear from you

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sure you have found the Baptism of Samuel, the son of Samuel & Jemima, on the 9th July 1840, which Ancestry record taking place at St. Peter’s, Belper.

Would just like to point out that the Baptism actually took place at St. John’s Belper, the church of St. Peter was not built until 1825!

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Motorbikerdave and welcome to RootsChat.

Daisy01 hasn't been on-line since Jan 2019 but will hopefully still have the same email address and will receive notification of your post.

In case you haven't seen them, a couple of newspaper items mentioning Samuel HARRISON:

"BELPER
SPECIAL HEARING
(Before G. H. STRUTT Esq.)
   Samuel Briggs, alias Cocky Briggs, labourer, of Belper,
was brought up in custody of Mr. Moran, the Deputy Chief
Constable, charged with stealing two pork pies, the property
of Mr. Samual [sic] Harrison, confectioner, of Belper. - Remanded
till Wednesday, the 15th inst."

Wednesday,  July 15, 1863, Derby Mercury

"ATTENBOROUGH - HARRISON - April 13, at the Unitarian
Chapel, Belper, by the Rev. - Lloyd, William Atten-
borough, to Miss Patience Harrison, third daughter of Mr.
Samuel Harrison, confectioner, both of Belper."

Wednesday,  Apr. 23, 1873, Derby Mercury

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 11:28 BST (UK) »
we're going down the same path, Maddy  :)

A later article in the Derby Mercury stated that "Cocky Briggs" initially in denial, was found to have two pies in his pocket.  Sentenced to one month with hard labour.

Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal 3rd January 1913, page 4
Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Wright, of Eastwood, Notts., celebrated their golden wedding on Sunday last, when they received the congratulations and good wishes of many friends.  They have resided in Eastwood during the whole of their married life.  Mrs Wright is the eldest daughter of the late Samuel Harrison, who for sixty-five years carried on business as a confectioner in Bridge-street, Belper.

Belper News 15th September 1916, page 2
A great feature of the present War has been the desire of parents and relatives of the men at the Front to give the latter as good a time as possible while engaged in the arduous work of serving their country.  The same spirit is manifested towards the gallant lads still training at home, and a typical example of this was witnessed on Friday last, when Private John Harrison Mellor, son of Mr. and Mrs. Mellor, Bridge street, Belper, was able to entertain his comrades at Aldershot with the good things sent to him by his parents for his 21st birthday, and it is needless to state his pals had a rare time.  Private Mellor enlisted on 20th July last and proceeded to Aldershot for training.  He will be remembered of the Christ Church congregation.  Mrs Mellor is the younger daughter of the late Mr. Samuel Harrison, who for over 50 years carried on the confectionery business in Bridge street, which is now conducted by her daughter and her husband.

Offline Daisy01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you  Br1gau and maddy for the information on the Harrison’s. It is most helpful.

I actually have the original paper article about the Golden Wedding of The Wright’s..I didn’t know about the second article though . Very interesting .