Author Topic: WW2,Can anyone identify my Dads regiment?  (Read 26703 times)

Offline Guinevere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Save the Earth, its the only planet with chocolate
    • View Profile
WW2,Can anyone identify my Dads regiment?
« on: Tuesday 22 March 05 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I hope these pictures have come up,I'm new at the pics thing.lol.

My Dad was in WW2,and he is in these 2 pictures,the one with
2guys in is i guess on leave,Dad is on left,and he was from portsmouth Hampshire,i think he was a driver/rifleman,but he had a great imagination and told us many things,so as he has passed  away i cant get anymore info,i have tried sending his pics to Army,they cant help,I'm just stumped now,as have no idea where to turn now.He said he never went far during war,isle of wight and local i guess,he never saw action.
The bottom pic,is obviously a photo opportunity with mates,as I'm sure vehicle is u.s.a one,and hope someone may know where they were based  during war.Dad is third from right
The one of Dad in uniform,is a bad pic,but they are only ones that survived,we cant see any cap badges as they are so badly taken.I would implore anyone to help,as im at end of rope trying to trace his regiment,im sure it was in Hampshire somewhere as hes from portsmouth,but he said he was stationed in isle of wight at one time,and i dint know how to find out what regiments were based there at the time.Thankyou so much for reading this,sorry if pics didn't go in,i tried.love Ann(Guinevere)xxxx
DUBBER,in  U.K,all counties,especially Hampshire,but  worldwide interests in all Dubber surnames.
CRITCHLOW,especially from Staffordshire.
SWORN,from Staffordshire areas,and surrounding.
COLLINS.From Hampshire,especially portsmouth and surrounding areas

http://www.communigate.co.uk/hants/dubbersurname/index.phtml

Any-one who thinks sun-shine is happiness,has never danced in the rain!.

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WW2,Can anyone identify my Dads regiment?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 06:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this will help, but try this forum, they may be a better bet.
http://www.forcesreunited.org.uk/forum/default.asp

or, try this. http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/service_recs/service_recs.htm

Here's a colour version of your dad. It's a shame it's in low resolution. If you can get it scanned to a higher resolution 300k max. and post it in the photo restoration board The guys their may be able to clean it up a bit.

I think the uniform is B37 Battle Dress Uniform Khaki. So my colour is wrong. I made him an american.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 07:42 GMT (UK) »
This is probably closer to the true colour. Unless he was in the Air Force then it woulld be blue.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Paul E

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'd say the middle pic looks like a sea front somewhere - possibly Brighton / Eastbourne / Bournemouth?  Just a guess!
 :)

Paul

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 07:53 GMT (UK) »
A nice big version would be great to check to see exactly what's in the picture.

deadants

Offline taeama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 09:54 GMT (UK) »
deadants is right on it being american.

Look on pic 2, the one ith the large crane. It has a white star. This was painted on all US ARMY vehicles. Another clue to it being american is the way the cap is being worn and the shape of it.

if you can , send in a larg picture focusing on the cap badge.

May be able to identify it from there.
Holbrow- BRISTOL AND SURROUNDING
MCBETH- CARLISLE
FURSDON,POPE -DEVON

Offline Guinevere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Wow,thankyou all so much,i was moved to tears at the way you all wrote to help me,yes the vehicle looks american,but dad never left the u.k,so i think it was a place they had a base in hampshire or isle of wight,i have tried for years to get to bottom of this and im at end of my rope as i have nowhere else to look,i shall visit all the links and re-read these truly wonderful messages to see if i get any further,.
And a huge THANKYOU for the colour version of my Dad,as you will never know how much i treasure these as i only have a few of my dad,and these are 3 of them,it breaks my heart to think i will never find out about his army days,and learn more of his young life.THANKYOU ALL SO VERY,VERY MUCHLove Ann.xxxxxx
DUBBER,in  U.K,all counties,especially Hampshire,but  worldwide interests in all Dubber surnames.

Offline Guinevere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 10:30 GMT (UK) »
oh i forgot,i think the beach maybe southsea or the shops in portsmouth,i have bigger ones i will try to upload them,as im new to this,lol.
he was definately in the british army,i assumed it was hampshire regiment,but they havent got him on files,he was a driver/rifleman,and the vehicle wasnt theirs,as its american,i just wish i knew where the americans were based in hampshire or isle of wight during ww2,Dad passed away in 1987,and we always lived in hampshire all us Dubbers did,and he just told so many fanciful stories of his war days,we just never knew where he was based only that he served in the Army,im so thrilled with the colour and the brown pics they are truly wonderful,now i just have to work out how to save them,they are so delightfuul,im teary eyed with seeing them in new light,bless your hearts for being so helpful,this site has always been so wonderful and friendly,and i feel very at home here,thankyou.Love Ann.xxxxxx ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline smokey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am afraid that all allied vehicles were marked with a white star in Europe as an aid to identification the star was not limited to American vehicles only.

Regards
Smokey