Author Topic: HANDEBO or HANDIBO  (Read 7144 times)

Offline tammyward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HANDEBO or HANDIBO
« on: Sunday 28 March 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
I'm desperately searching for information on a Handibo family in Ireland. I've gone as far back as John Handibo, born 1784 Westmeath, Ireland. Married Sarah Molloy in 1811 in Dublin and was sent to Australia as a convict in 1830 for stealing a sheep. I have his father as James Handibo, however I'm not sure if that's correct.

I cannot find any record of Handibo family members born before John. On John's convict records it has his name spelt Handibo, however on his death certificate it is spelt Handebo and he also had Handebo for his children. My Great-Grandmother also spells it Handebo. I have heard that the name has possibly be changed several times and several variations are Handiboe/Handibode/Handibo. I have also been told the name was possibly originally changed from Strongbow/Herbert.

Due to the fact I'm in Australia my search has become very difficult, because I know nothing about how to access records in Ireland. I was thinking about buying John Handibo's birth certificate and I would appreciate some advice on how to go about it.

If anyone has any information on this family I would love to hear it, or if anyone has and advice for me I would also be extremely grateful. Thanks

Tammy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: HANDEBO or HANDIBO
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
I'm desperately searching for information on a Handibo family in Ireland. I've gone as far back as John Handibo, born 1784 Westmeath, Ireland. Married Sarah Molloy in 1811 in Dublin and was sent to Australia as a convict in 1830 for stealing a sheep....... was thinking about buying John Handibo's birth certificate and I would appreciate some advice on how to go about it.

civil registration started in Ireland in 1864 - so there will be no birth certificate for John... see :  2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 June 10 11:55 BST (UK) »
Headstone in Moate cemetery.

Offline tammyward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 03:56 BST (UK) »
Seanmac,

Thank you so much for the photo of the headstone. It's so nice to know that people are willing to help.

Tammy

Offline Butta

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 December 10 11:26 GMT (UK) »
John Handebo's parents were James and Elizabeth Handebo (nee Dobbins) married 17/12/1779
Sarah Molloy's parents were Warren and Elizabeth Molloy (nee Dobbins)