Author Topic: Colligan - Kings County?  (Read 16023 times)

Offline Betty0715

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colligan - Kings County?
« on: Wednesday 31 March 10 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My great, great, great grandfather was John Colligan - born about 1812, immigrated from Liverpool to New York, USA in 1841.  His wife's name was Margaret (no idea of last name) she was born about 1814 in Ireland.  I don't know if they married in Ireland or England since they were married at the time they immigrated to the USA.  John's gravestone looks like it says Kings Co Ireland died June 2, 1878 aged 73 years.  Any suggestions how I find more information??  I don't know if he had brothers or sisters and how to find any information prior to New York.  Any help is much appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Colligan - Kings County?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 09:16 BST (UK) »
Since they left Ireland before the start of civil registration of marriages and births in Ireland and you don't have an exact location to search for any surviving church records it will be difficult to get any information from Irish records. Suggest you check all possible U.S. records for more clues.
Was John Colligan naturalised? (records might contain birthdate, etc.)
Death certificates for John and Margaret might list parents, place in Ireland, etc. (and might get you Margaret's maiden name)
Child's death, marriage of birth certificates might also give Margaret maiden name, place in Ireland for parents, etc.

For example, there's a Philip Colligan born 10 May 1874 Manhattan to John Colligan and Maggie Fitzpatrick listed in IGI (www.familysearch.org).
Also another child, Sarah Colligan born 12 June 1869 N.Y. married 30 Jan.1888 St. Peter Catholic [Church], Jersey City, Hudson, N.J.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Betty0715

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice.  My John & Margaret moved from New York to Watertown, Wisconsin sometime between 1844 and 1848 - going by birthplace listed for children.  They show up on the 1850 census in Wisconsin.  Children's names were Bernard b 1841, Mary b 1843, Anne b 1844, Margaret b 1848, John b 1850, Martin b 1852, Thomas b 1854, James b 1855.  Margaret is the first shown as born in Wisconsin.  So my next step is to check New York records for the births of the first 3?  Is there a way to do that online?  Thank you again for your help - this is my dad's paternal side, the others are just as bad I think! 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
Don't think that state-wide registration of births started in New York that early so depends on where in New York they lived when children were born as to what records would be available. You might have better luck getting Winscosin birth details. Probably best to post a query on U.S. board for help (don't forget to link new message to this thread).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Betty0715

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 April 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for your help - I will keep searching.

Offline Betty0715

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 11 15:56 BST (UK) »
I think we have found some information - any suggests as to where to go from here?

Found John Colligan baptism at SS Michaels & John Parish, Coughjordan, North Tipperery, Offaly - 13th April 1804. Parents Michael Colligan and Elizabeth Reilly.   Elizabeth was born in 1779 to Mr. Reilly and alicia Reilly.  Michael Colligan of Elbow Lane was baptized on 11th of Oct, 1772 at St. Catherine in Dublin.  Michaels parents were William Colligan and wife Mary. 

There was also a Jere Colligan at SS Michael & John Parish, wife Margaret Flood who had a son Josh Colligan baptized on 19th Sept 1804 - possible cousin, sponsors in both were named Healy. 

I'm getting excited - it would be so nice to find descendants, my brother has had the DNA testing done so we could find a match! 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
I think we have found some information - any suggests as to where to go from here?

Found John Colligan baptism at SS Michaels & John Parish, Coughjordan, North Tipperery, Offaly - 13th April 1804. Parents Michael Colligan and Elizabeth Reilly.

are you certain about the location ?

the Parish of SS Michael & John is in Dublin city... and I see the 1804 baptism you mentioned on www.irishgenealogy.ie, which doesn't include any Co. Offaly (King's Co.) or Tipperary records : 

Baptism of John Colligan 13 April 1804

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Betty0715

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 11 17:54 BST (UK) »
I'll have to check with the person who did the research, she gave me the information.  She did send the copy of the baptism but she also stated Coughjordan, North Tipperary, Offaly, so maybe she found that information elsewhere?  thanks for the reply!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
Cloughjordan is nowhere near Dublin City - so it looks like some details have been mixed up. That baptism definitely took place in Dublin.

The RC records for the parish of Cloughjordan only go back to about 1833, so if your John was born in that parish unfortunately there will be no record of it.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests