Author Topic: help with romany links  (Read 31878 times)

Offline Keelie100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with romany links
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi if you have any infomation... My great nan was hannah burnside born n York and died in the late 60s by hit and run. We are also related to the hunters and small and my nans grandad had donkeys on Whitley bay. Do you have any infomation or no the family's. Thank you

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 10 September 15 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi. Keelie. Sorry for the late reply.Been busy.  Its not site policy to research members family that may be living. But I can say that the Burnside family are related to me. On both maternal and paternal sides. I cannot remember a Hannah being ran down . but I was a child in the sixties. lots of the Burnside family live in Yorkshire.very old traveller name. Olso I know the Hunter family. Lots around the Darlington area. And all of Yorkshire. Don't know any smalls sadly. But Romany people did do donkey rides etc. In fact anything really. Do you still camp.? Or are you settled. Best place to start as allways is with the oldest family members. There are lots of sites on gypsy folks. If you're interested.in tracing your family back. But this as been the most helpful to me.  Sorry I can't give more information. If you have any questions please feel free to post me ..rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Keelie100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 10 September 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi rob thanks for your reply, I didn't no that sorry it's my first time on this forum. My nan said she thinks nanny Hannah's mum was called maybal which will be my nans nan. Also my nanny hannah had a few children that were called jean, Audrey, johnny, jimmy, bella, Betty, William and Christine. Half of them settled and half didn't. Audrey, jean and bella settled because jean is my nan but she passed when my mum was 9 so my nanny Audrey took my mum in, which is my real nan jeans sister. jimmy was still travelling and William was to but Williams defferently died as I remember him when I was younger, his children are still travelling though.  Johnny died at the age of 2 from meninjistis from not pasteurised milk and Betty also stayed travelling and married someone called jimmy. My mum said jimmy used to paint wagons. I don't no if you can help with any of this infomation? I can't seem to find any infomation on my great nanny hannah on any site. Thanks

Offline Fred Gentle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 07 September 19 18:40 BST (UK) »
Out of them brothers you put up there Ben Gentle was my grandfather. Also he had 9 sons and he left England to go to Ireland. Also he was burried in Killkenny. Ben's wife was called Nora Hall and she came from Kent and my father was called Johno Gentle. The name of the 9 brothers:
George, Roy, Bill, Fred, Johno, Edward, Pato, Arthur and Jim. They are all dead now.  And we were Romany Gypsy's. Ben Gentle was a horse dealer. And if you want to know any more just ask.

Offline Fred Gentle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 07 September 19 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, my father was Fred Gentle, his father was George Gentle. 1 of the 9 brothers. But was there not also 2 sisters that died very young.

Offline Claire333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 00:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi. Thank you for your reply.  I know my gran was moses and she married Charles hassell and then James Jenkins.  She was from Coates Bridge Scotland and settled in bowesfield camp in the 40s    my grandad built the schoolhouse up to 2 floors for his large family    I will get more info for you.  Thank you so much

Offline The Baggins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 14 March 22 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with my Romany lines. My main ancestor I am looking for more information on is Snow Alley Boswell also known as Maria/Mary Boswell. She was convicted and sent out to Australia for horse stealing, prostitution, more larceny among other things. She was convicted for the horse stealing in Warwickshire, England with a John Price. She was sent out in 1828 to Tasmania, Australia better known as Van Diemen's Land then.

Her parents were Josiah Boswell and Hannah (surname unknown). He was a tinkerer travelling in the Nottinghamshire area when she was convicted. As stated on her record. She was one of three girls born to the pair.

As far as I have been able to tell Josiah was the son of Richard Boswell and Phyllis Blewitt. Along with his siblings: Absolom Boswell; Israel Boswell; Lucy Boswell; Trinity Boswell; and Zachariah Boswell. I think they were his only siblings as I'm trying to find more research on them.

My great grandmother used to tell us all stories about her family being Gypsies when we were all little.

Any information would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any.

Kind regards

Tamika Phillips
(Victoria, Australia)

Hi Tamika, I have only just seen this post. I hope you get this message. This is a cousin of mine and although I know very little about her I would love to talk to you and find out how you gathered all your information, Thank you Barbara xx