Author Topic: Hall & Milner - Bradford 1850s  (Read 3898 times)

Offline cannonhill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hall & Milner - Bradford 1850s
« on: Thursday 01 April 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Am looking for information about my great-grandfather Charles Henry Hall and/or his parents Thomas Henry Hall and Eliza Milner. Charles was born in Bradford ~1853 to Thomas Henry Hall & Eliza Milner. Charles went on as a young adult to emigrate to New Zealand.

I have not had any success finding out any further information about the Hall side of the family and no nothing really of the Milners. Any help would be most appreciated.

The other part of the equation is establishing on what ship Charles headed to New Zealand which was no later than 1884, probably a bit earlier.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Bill

Hall (Bradford); Morgan (Bradford); Milner (Bradford); Fearnley (Bradford); Tilling (London); Spillard (London); Fudge (Adelaide, Australia); Callaghan (Kapunda, Australia)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hall & Milner - Bradford 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 April 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

you say you have the family from censuses but that has confused me already  ;)

1861 RG9; Piece: 3322; Folio: 51; Page: 32
has the family with sons Charles Henry and Frederick William and also a daughter Emily aged 4 yrs. Is this your family?

There is also a marriage on Free BMD with possible spouses Thomas Henry Hall and Eliza Milner which if you haven't got would give you their fathers' names.

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 April 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
This is a strong possibility for Eliza in 1851

1851  HO107; Piece: 2308; Folio: 80; Page: 13

5 Trafalgar Street Bradford

Wm T Milner 25 yrs Grocer and Tea dealer
Ann Milner sister 33 yrs housekeeper
Eliza Milner sister 22 yrs assistant to brother
Elizabeth Pool visitor 18 yrs

all born Leeds

if that is her, then this looks like her in 1841 -transcribed as Elvia
Parents William and Hannah and children of similar ages to above plus a Mary.

I can give you full details of you need them.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 April 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
This seems to confirm the above:

1871 RG10; Piece: 4463; Folio: 61; Page: 27
1 Hallfield Street Bradford

Wm F Milner 45 yrs Master Grocer  -one man b Armley
Mary Milner sister 51 yrs housekeeper b Armley
Chas H Hall nephew 17 yrs Draper unemployed b Bradford

I can't see Charles in 1881- he is not with William who is a retired tea dealer.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 April 10 14:30 BST (UK) »
Possibility for Thomas:

1851 HO107; Piece: 2308; Folio: 47; Page: 7
9 Victoria Street Bradford

Mary Hall head widow 63 yrs b Catterick
Thos Henry Hall 26 yrs Cashier in Timber trade b Leeds
Eliza Jephson 14 yrs house servant b Rotherham

Offline cannonhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 April 10 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Heywood

My goodness that was fast response! I posted the message whilst at work to see if there was any information to be had for the weekend. I am attempting to write up our NZ family history and as it all comes from the UK, I wanted to frame it.

My head is hung low in shame. There is another set of grandparents I also have to track down and in that area, the brothers are Charles & William. You are right to point out Frederick William as the brother for Charles Henry Hall. A major booboo on my side for confusing the two families as I typed up. Human error but a frustrating and misleading one nonetheless.

The information you have been providing appears to be my family. I will relook at my family tree when I get home and confirm.

Enormous thank you for your assistance. Having a family ridden with pioneering types is great but also very difficult to track their movements, especially emigration etc.

Will digest this evening and come back.

Many thanks
Bill
Hall (Bradford); Morgan (Bradford); Milner (Bradford); Fearnley (Bradford); Tilling (London); Spillard (London); Fudge (Adelaide, Australia); Callaghan (Kapunda, Australia)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 April 10 14:39 BST (UK) »
Well at least we're on the right track  ;) Have a check up and see what transpires and then please post.  :D

Offline cannonhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 April 10 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hello again Heywood

Home now and have access to my tree.

I did have it in my records (advised by a cousin who used to tinker) that Eliza Milner was born in Armley. I assume that is around Leeds. So the Armley/Leeds link sits well. And the other entries you provided (including the transcription error of Elvia) would ring true as well. So that is quite a bit of information on Milners.

As we agreed earlier, the references to Charles Henry, Frederick William and Emily Hall are correct.

I have no record of the marriage date etc you mention is on FreeBDM for Thomas Henry & Eliza. I assume that is trackable online from which I could order a marriage certificate to get parent's names? It would appear that we know Eliza's but suppose the certificate would rubber stamp that. As for Thomas, his mother is Mary (someone) and by 1851 is a widow.

The entry in 1871 showing Charles Henry Hall (my g.g.grandfather) residing with Milners as a 17yo is excellent. Closes the gap on tracing where he was and what he did before heading to New Zealand. To be honest, we don't have a lot of knowledge of him there either except for some addresses, a load of children (10) including my grandfather, and his death. But I am assuming that something either attracted or drove him to NZ. Eventually it would be nice to locate him on passenger list for his travels and from that to see if he travelled alone or with other family members.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 April 10 22:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, Armley is Leeds.

I wonder if Charles' decision to emigrate was influenced by his unemployment in 1871?

Yes you can order the marriage certificate:
Free BMD site: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
General Register Office: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
will help.

I am assuming that is Thomas in 1851

I can't spot a definite Mary Hall in 1841 so it would be good to have that marriage certificate so that you can confirm the father's name.