Author Topic: Date for this photo please?  (Read 4367 times)

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Date for this photo please?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Elizabeth was married to Thomas Lowell Ralph, who was originally a metal roller from Birmingham . Thomas supposedly moved to St Petersburg to manage the first metal rolling mills for the Russian government.

One of Thomas and Elizabeth's sons called Peter was apparently one of the chief engineers on the Trans Siberian railway, but he and his family went missing during the revolution. They are a fascinating family but quite frustrating as I have no knowledge of Russian or of Russian records!

Sophie
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 17:33 BST (UK) »
Sophie,

In 1867 St. Petersburg address book Thomas Ralph mentioned at 13,  Estlyandskaya str. app. 4.

Mike

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
Have also one Adelaida Ralph-Agaz in Moscow, 1901-1911, singing teacher.

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 17:51 BST (UK) »
Wow wow wow! I can't thank you enough for this help Mike, that is amazing! I had almost given up hope of finding out more about the family's life in Russia, so this is incredible! 1867 would definitely fit as a date. Thomas was back in England in 1875 when he died.

It is very possible that the Adelaida Ralph-Agaz could be a link too. Of the 13 children Thomas and Elizabeth had, we know 9 names. 7 of these were born in England, with the rest presumably born in St Petersburg. I was told that there was a Catherine/Kate Ralph who married a Fred Goodyear and had a daughter called Daisy, and I think these were out in Russia too.

Thanks so much again!
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Sophie,

I was told that there was a Catherine/Kate Ralph who married a Fred Goodyear and had a daughter called Daisy, and I think these were out in Russia too

In 1895 Alfred Osipovich (Alfred Joseph) Goodier (Goodyear) lived in St, Petersburg at Petergophskiy (lane) 6.
In 1913 - 1917, Alfred Alfredovich (Alfred, son of Alfred) Goodier (Goodyear) lived at Zabalkanskiy lane 35. Occupation - translator. Together with him lived Margarita Vasilievna (Margareth, daughter of Vasiliy - Basil) Goodier, teacher of English.
Also, in 1913, Margarita (Margareth) Alfredovna Goodier lived at 2 Rozhdestvenskiy lane 21. Occupation - teacher of English.
No records in St. Peterburg/Petrograd books after 1917.

Mike

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
Fascinating stuff. The occupation would certainly seem plausible too. I have well and truly got the bug now!
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 04:58 BST (UK) »
And Margaret would be daughter of Alfred as well. Russian patronyms (a middle name based on your father's name) can give a big clue as to a person's parentage, just like the Ap names in Welsh. They are made from the father's first name plus the -vich ending for a male, and -ovna for a female.

When I learned about this I had no idea the names might have any practical use :D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 08:36 BST (UK) »
Well I am definitely glad you did learn this China- you and Mike have been so helpful, and I wouldn't have a clue where to start!

If I am correct, then, it looks like there were 2 Margaret Goodiers: one daughter of Basil (Margarita Vasilievna Goodier) and one daughter of Alfred (Margarita  Alfredovna Goodier). I suppose they could be mother and daughter, although in that case Margarita Vasilievna Goodier couldn't be one of my Ralph family, as mine would be daughter of Thomas. Very confusing! Interesting that both Margarets were English teachers.

It looks like Peter Ralph remains elusive for the time being, although I may have found him in this photo in the album.

Many thanks again,
Sophie
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 08:55 BST (UK) »