Author Topic: WILLOUGHBY/SPEAKMAN Marriage at Shipton-on-Cherwell *COMPLETED*  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
WILLOUGHBY/SPEAKMAN Marriage at Shipton-on-Cherwell *COMPLETED*
« on: Monday 05 April 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
I have a William and Elizabeth WILLOUGHBY  baptising their family (1825 onwards) at Preston Capes, Northants.  (where both parents also are buried).

The PRs confirm that William was born at Preston Capes, but the 1851 and 1861 censuses record that Elizabeth was baptised at Neithrop (near Banbury).

I have been unable to find a marriage for this couple on the Northamptonshire MI and the only instance of a William Willoughby marrying an Elizabeth on the Oxfordshire MI is:

27 JUL 1823 - William WILLOUGHBY to Elizabeth SPEAKMAN at Shipton/Cherwell

The date seems to be a "good fit", but no so much the location!

Can anyone with the relevant parish registers confirm if this couple stayed in the parish of their marriage, had children baptised there and/or were buried there - so that I can claim or eliminate them!

Many thanks for any help.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Maggie jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WILLOUGHBY/SPEAKMAN Marriage at Shipton-on-Cherwell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennie

OFHS transcripts of Shipton on Cherwell show that it was a shotgun wedding with their children being baptised there from 1823-1838. Elizabeth was buried  in 1847 and William  in 1886.

So I think you can safely eliminate this family.

Maggie
Bateman Bushell Butler Dawkins Hickman King Lines Long Reynolds Stowell Tagg Walton

Berkshire Kent Oxfordshire Northamptonshire

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WILLOUGHBY/SPEAKMAN Marriage at Shipton-on-Cherwell
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie ...

Many thanks for checking this one out for me - so, it's now back to the drawing board!

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.