Author Topic: Vimy Ridge - 2010 - End of an Era  (Read 4136 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Vimy Ridge - 2010 - End of an Era
« on: Monday 05 April 10 19:41 BST (UK) »
The Canadian Government will hold a National commemorative ceremony honouring all of Canada's First World War service men and women to pay tribute to their achievements and contributions.

The ceremony will be held on "Vimy Ridge Day," Friday, April 9, 2010 in Ottawa at the National War Memorial-a symbol of the sacrifices of all Canadians who have served Canada in times of war in the cause of peace and freedom.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=feature/crfww

Another site that is remembering the soldiers....print off the poppy and colour it and hang it in your window.

Every Canadian has a chance to pay tribute to those who served. All you need is a piece of paper and a red crayon. In a matter of days, you will walk or drive along streets and see red poppies in the windows of homes, businesses, and schools. As the sun rises on the day of the official ceremonies in Ottawa, there will be poppies across Canada for...

http://www.lindagranfield.com/EOR_english.php

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vimy Ridge - 2010 - End of an Era
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 April 10 23:32 BST (UK) »
That is lovely. Have you been to Vimy Ridge? I think it is one of the loveliest  memorials of the First World war.
There is also a very impressive one at the Newfoundland Park cemetery near Beaumont Hamel, on the little River Ancre, a tributary of The Somme.
We have visited several times and on those occasions there were always Canadian students handing out little  enamelled lapel pins, in the shape of maple leaves.We were proud to accept and wear them .
Perhaps you could post a photo of your road/street when the poppies are displayed in the windows.
Thanks for that info. Viktoria.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 00:31 BST (UK) »
No, not yet...but hopefully in September I will be going with my dad.

I am trying to make arrangements to go to Ottawa on Friday for the service with my children.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline fruitcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 01:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that info, Karen, quite a few of my Aberdeenshire family emigrated to Canada and served with Canadian forces during WW1, including my Great Grandfather's sister's son who served in the Quebec Regiment and who died at Vimy Ridge on 9 April 1917.

fruitcake
DANIEL, ROBB, CASTLE/CASTEL, BARCLAY, MATTHEW, HALL, RAE, CHAPP, FRASER, MUTCH, MATHEW, BYRES, BURR, JOHNSTON, GAVIN, FINNIE, THOMSON, WISHART, SMITH, SHEPHERD, ELDER, BIRSE, MARTIN, GRANT, LOW, FORBES, SCOTT, WATSON, GRAY, GALL, SHEWAN, MCKENZIE, MCRITCHIE - Aberdeenshire
DRIVER, BIRD, JEFFS, BARLOW - Northamptonshire
GOLDTHORP/GOLDTHORPE, FORD, TUCKWELL, TAYLOR, BUSHBY - London, Kent, Surrey

Offline shot.of.clarity

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
I would love to attend this ceremony since I live about 10 minutes from the Memorial in Ottawa, but at what time is it? I cannot seem to find any info....

thanks

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
I believe it starts at 11:00 am.  I just rec'd this email of what will be happening......

The ceremony will include: a 21 gun salute and passing of the Torch of Remembrance; remarks by the Prime Minister and Governor General ; Last Post/two minutes of silence/Rouse/Lament; Act of Remembrance/Commitment to Remember; Prayers by Chaplain General; laying of fresh floral arrangements; musical interludes; a release of doves (weather permitting); tolling of Peace Tower bells; fly past of First World War Vintage aircraft (weather permitting) and a march past.

Roads will start closing at 10:15. The ceremony will be broadcast on national tv and also displayed on large screens for all in attendance.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 16:54 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks for the reminder, Karen...There was an ad on T.V. last night...with no date, just the .com address for VAC  :P Nice that the Gov't. designated this holiday 7 years ago, but doesn't make much of a splash about it... Poppy printed, coloured and in window! J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
yes thanks for that. I attended the rememberance day cermonies in Ottawa last year. It's well worth attending especially taking your children.
marc

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
I attended the special memorial service at Tyne Cot Cemetery,, to mark the 50th anniversary of the ending of the 3rd battle( of Ypres) we call Passendale( the spelling has altered over the years as Flemish has been rationalised). This was October 1967.
Soldiers from The Northumberland Fusiliers stood guard of honour, they were just out of the crater district, Aden.A plane of the Canadian Air Force flew over and released poppies--- one for every man killed in the three battles for Ypres. Whilst immpressive ,and sad and thought provoking it was also horrific to see the poppies drifting down and banking  up against the little white headstones like red snow. Thousands and thousands of them, each one a life cut short.
Canadian soldiers took the first gas attacks at St. Julian and there is a lovely memorial to them there and another with a beautiful approach lined with maple trees near Hill 60.This is close to Ypres.
Canadian memorials of W.W.1 are generally very  tasteful and real works of art.
Thank you again for letting us know of this. Viktoria.