Author Topic: Thomas Lothian born abt 1794  (Read 3380 times)

Offline morpethian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Lothian born abt 1794
« on: Tuesday 06 April 10 20:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the birth record for a Thomas Lothian who according to census records was born abt 1794 in Lauder.
I've located his marriage to Isobel Litster in May 1817, the records show Thomas belonged the parish of Channelkirk & Isobel the parish of Lauder.

I'm really struggling to find his birth record which is preventing me from finding his parents and/or any siblings he may have had

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lothian born abt 1794
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a birth in Lauder parish for a John Lothian, 1800, son of John Lothian and Marrion Dalgleish.

There is also their marriage, transcribed by the IGI and SP as John Lauden and Marrion Dalglish married 26th June 1788 in Lauder.

Do you know if Thomas had any children with the above names?

hume :)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Births/baptisms from SP to John Louden/Lothian and Marion/Marrion Dalglish/Dalgleish:

George Louden, b. 1789 Lauder
Janet Louden, b. 1791 Lauder
Thomas Louden, b. 1793 Lauder
Marrion Louden, b. 1796 Lauder
John Lothian, b. 1800 Lauder

Offline morpethian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Thank you for replying to my post so quickly

Thomas & Isobel had the following children: John, Peter, Thomas, George, William & Mary

I think when I was searching ScotlandPeople website, I may have come across the name Louden but the image of the entry even though it was hand written was clear enough to make out that it was Louden & not Lothian, do you think this may be th esame family??

Many Thanks

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
Names were pretty fluid back then and a lot of the time they were recorded as heard, without anyone to say otherwise. ::) It could have also been how they were known at that time, later changing the spelling/name to Lothian perhaps to differentiate between two families or other reasons etc.

I would say you can be pretty sure it's the same family. The mother is listed constantly through the baptism records in Lauder so I think they are one and the same.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
In vernacular Scots, Lothian is often pronounced "Louden" and in older records it is often written that way too. So if you're looking for missing ancestors called Lothian, be prepared to look under Louden as well.

I had ancestors called Lothian in the Lauder/Melrose area, and I've seen the name written both ways. And in my native East Fife, Lothian has been pronounced Louden within living memory.

Harry

Offline morpethian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 April 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Harry

Appreciate the advice

Teresa

Offline lechristo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post but I'm just wondering how far you managed to go back with your research, @morpethian? My grandmother's maiden name is Lothian and I've traced her ancestors back to Adam Louden and Elsbeth Logan. I'm presently re-visiting my past work to make sure it is correct. I've been trying to find a connection between our Lothians and your Lothians for a while as I have a letter of correspondence between the two branches of the family who came to Australia dated 20 Feb 1928.
Fadden, Lothian, Taylor, Joyce, Carroll, McNamara, McGrath, White, Watters, Squire, Gibson, Gilbert, Kerwin, Belcher, Moorhead, Goodall, Newman, Jemmeson, Williams, Laity, Berriman, Henderson, Dodds

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 12:14 BST (UK) »
Folks,  "A Lowden Sabbath Morn!"  RLS,  ;D

https://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/stevenson/lowden_sabbath_morn.html

Skoosh.