Author Topic: Mary Vernon, Peak Forest baptism 1828 - am I making this up?  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mary Vernon, Peak Forest baptism 1828 - am I making this up?
« on: Wednesday 07 April 10 10:21 BST (UK) »
Can anyone offer advice on the baptism of Mary Vernon, listed on the IGI as Sept 1828 at Peak Forest?  I've been hovering round it for some time now..

IGI record, from the BTs:
21st September 1828, bap. Mary Vernon, parents Samuel Vernon and Mary.

Mary's marriage cert to Matthew Goodwin in 1861 gives father Samual Vernon, farmer, Peak Forest.

The best fit for Samuel Vernon in Peak Forest is (IGI again):
Samuel Vernon m. Martha Jackson on 22 July 1828. Their son Edward Jackson Vernon is bapt. 2 Aug 1830 at Peak Forest.
Edward later emigrates to New Zealand and gives one of his children the middle name Goodwin - a tentative link to Mary maybe.

Could the Bishops Transcript of Mary Vernon's baptism be wrong, with mother Mary recorded when it should be Martha, or am I clutching at the wrong straw altogether? Are the original Peak Forest registers still in existence anywhere to check the baptism? Any help would be welcome

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
  • Society Street in Hunslet
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Vernon, Peak Forest baptism 1828 - am I making this up?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
The DRO at Matlock has the following records for Peak Forest:

PEAK FOREST
Baptisms 1698-1898, marriages 1698-1847, banns 1876-1938, burials 1678-1936; Overseers of the Poor accounts 1675-1773; settlement records 1729-1756;bastardy records 1707-1817; apprenticeship records 1682-1784; churchwardens’ accounts 1676-1736,1866-1911 (D3578); parish book c 1720 -c 1822 (D7065)

If you contact them you can request (and pay for) a copy of the entry in the Parish Register for Mary's baptism and/or Samuel's marriage.

I would think it is entirely possible the clerk wrote Mary when he meant Martha (or vice versa) or that it is a mistranscription by the IGI.

Hope that helps,
John
Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Vernon, Peak Forest baptism 1828 - am I making this up?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you John,
I have now found the DRO search request form online & will see what they can do.  £12.50 per half hour is not the worst rate I've encountered.

Thanks again
 :) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,