Author Topic: Caroline Hobson, emigrated from County Tyrone c 1860?  (Read 3152 times)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Caroline Hobson, emigrated from County Tyrone c 1860?
« on: Thursday 08 April 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I am trying to track down a Caroline Hobson, born c 1840's in Donaghenry, Stewartstown County Tyrone, who emigrated to Pennsylvania around 1860 or so.

She married Robert Ferris somewhere in Pennsylvania after arrival there. Robert was also from Donaghenry. She had two children- Louisa Jane Ferris b Feb 17, 1870 and Richard Downing Ferris born 1872. There may also have been a Phoebe Ferris born after that, but we are not sure. Caroline died before the 1881 census.

Apparently she died at Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, date unknown?

If anyone could help with any further details, such as date of marriage or arrival in USA, that would be amazing.

many thanks
Liscoole
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Hobson, emigrated from County Tyrone c 1860?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Liscoole.

Are the birth dates for the children correct ?  She would have been 66 and 68 years old when she had them. I have'nt seen an entry in the Guiness Book Of Records for that accomplishment !!  ???

Amended after alteration:- That's more like it - what happened to the second one you listed ?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 April 10 18:47 BST (UK) »
lol Thank you Dettori... i have since amended the post.... sorry for the confusion!  I have a heavy headcold today which might explain my confuddled state of mind lol ;D
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 April 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hope you feel better soon.

Caroline is listed on anc..try tree under Caroline Hobbs. The death date is given as April 16 1874
in Swarthmore college, Pennsylvania. 3 children listed, the other two were Richard 1871 and Phoebe 1874.  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 April 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
Louise Jane listed as married to Harry Lardner Skeen born at 3.00 am 22 Feb 1870 Pennsylvania and died 17 Dec 1960 in Roanoke City, Roanoke, VA 
Marriage Date 7 June 1904  ;D

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 April 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
That is just amazing Dettori, thank you!! ;D

Could I push my luck and ask if there's anything about her in the immigration records?

thanks so much

Liscoole

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 April 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Your not pushing your luck at all.  Anc..try is not showing me anything suitable and www.castlegarden.org did'nt give me any choices at all. Might try some spelling variations to see if she will turn up.  If you want any more info re Louisa and husband - shout - it is no problem.  ;D

Just found one for a female Hobson born 1840 - Liverpool - New York 26 Nov 1858 on SS Africa but unfortunately there is no image.  ???

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 April 10 19:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Dettori.

The record you mention sounds like it could well be her!

Maybe if I could find her marriage to Robert Ferris that might help. Ultimately I am trying to find out the names of her parents.

Thanks again for all your help
Liscoole

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 April 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
We could do with finding them either together or seperately on the 1870 Census - I take it you have'nt found her/them in 1870 ?