Author Topic: Capt. John Humble, Forfarshire shipwreck  (Read 11476 times)

Offline PorterzPennellz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Capt. John Humble, Forfarshire shipwreck
« on: Thursday 08 April 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
Captain John Humble, who died with his wife and over forty others in the Forfarshire steamship tragedy of 1838--(the Grace Darling shipwreck)-- "belonged to Shields," [South Shields] according to contemporaneous accounts.  I'm trying to find out the names of his parents, wife, and children.  Any ideas about how to do this?  I'm both a newbie and hampered by distance (live in the US.)  Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Problem of looking for a death record: Don't know whether bodies were recovered, and if not, whether they reported them as dead immediately or waited a set number of statutorily required years (ie: 10 years), whether their deaths would have been registered in South Shields, (where they purportedly lived), or whether the deaths would have been registered in the jurisdiction where the bodies were recovered?

Hoping that this might be easier to research because of his infamy.  According to an 1846 book "Tales of Shipwrecks and Adventures: 1.) he began his career on one of the collier sloops trading between Shields and Newcastle,2.) the first steamship he was in was a small tugboat, owned by Shields, called the Tarset, 3.) after the Tarset, he commanded another steamer called the "Neptune," which sailed between Hull and Newcastle, 4.) was sometime mate of the "Eclipse," a Newcastle and Leith boat, 5.) the ship Forfarshire sailed between Hull & Dundees.  Anyone have any ideas about where to look?  Many thanks!

Porter, Pennells, Croft, Easton, Ashdown, Harmer, Epthen/Ebden/Epten/Upton (East Sussex)
Stephenson, Young, Knowles, Lambert, Scott, Stead, Loftstadt, Humble, Rose (Newcastle, South Shields, Tynemouth)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. John Humble, Forfarshire shipwreck
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, i wonder whether the Grace Darling museum in Bamburgh can help. theu have an online enquirt service:

http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/the_heritage_trust/grace-darling-museum/enquiry-form

worth a try,

Diddy  ;D
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
local newspapers seem to have covered the story. i have found newcastle central library local studies very useful in the past. they have an online help service (i emailed one day and recieved info / photocopies in a couple of days)

Email:    information@newcastle.gov.uk

Address: City Library, Charles Avison Building, 33 New Bridge St. West, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8AX

Diddy

Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 April 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
there is a private tree on A* (can only contact privately) for an

Ann Humble  d/o/ Cpt John Humble
she was born 1804 Blyth so think on right lines. this may help find johns family.

seeking...
Diddy  8)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 April 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
this posting was on A* in March as a reply to a query about john:

My husband is a descendant of Captain John Humble, through his (daughter?) Ann. Ann married William Young of Winlaton, Durham. Their son, John Humble Rose Young, was born in 1836, two years before the ship Forfarshire went down. I too have been trying to find out information about Captain John Humble and his wife, (who both died aboard the Forfarshire), but I'm not sure where to look. Ann Humble Young and family settled in Northumberland, living first in Tynemouth (1841) and later in North Shields (1851).

if you have seen this / are connected to this query /answer i apologise in advance!

Diddy

Offline PorterzPennellz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 April 10 01:01 BST (UK) »
Diddy,

Thank you so much for all these great leads-- I really appreciate all your help!

Kindest Regards,
Jenny
Porter, Pennells, Croft, Easton, Ashdown, Harmer, Epthen/Ebden/Epten/Upton (East Sussex)
Stephenson, Young, Knowles, Lambert, Scott, Stead, Loftstadt, Humble, Rose (Newcastle, South Shields, Tynemouth)

Offline JohnAWigham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 December 10 00:02 GMT (UK) »
To Diddy and Jenny - I'm trying to trace the Humble family of North Shields and am wondering if there might be a connection to Capt. John Humble.  My great great grandfather was a John Humble, ship broker, of North Shields, born c.1828. His mother was Mary Pearson born c. 1803, but I don't know the name of his father. I'm speculating that Capt. John Humble might be John Humble's grandfather - there can't have been that many Humbles in North Shields. I wonder if either of you can fill in the gaps?

The name has persisted down the generations - my uncle and grandfather were both called John Humble Wigham, and both were sea captains, and it's where my own first name comes from too.

best wishes, John

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 December 10 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Jenny - just as a link to this post - since replying to you i have found a link in my family to that of Grace Darling!! her brother Robert married the sister of decendant!!

Diddy (well connected!!)  ::)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 December 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
John, john Humble's birth /chr is on the family pilot site:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

John Humble birth 5/10/1827 Christ church,Tynemouth, chr 30/12/1829 Christ church Tynemouth s/o William Brown Humble & Mary

Diddy