Author Topic: Which Line ?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Minimoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Line ?
« on: Saturday 10 April 10 11:58 BST (UK) »
Having done a lot of research on Gt. Grandad only to find his Mother didn't marry until he was 6 months old and I don't think he was his father, he didn't use his name till much much later, I was wondering which line other folk follow ?  I now have another case where the Mother didn't marry until the child was 2 years old though he took his name straight away and the husband was only 18 when he married so if he fathered the child at 16 it might explain the delay !

Just interested to see which line other people follow in a case of " who's the Daddy ! "

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which Line ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
What research have you done to try to ascertain his father? What date are we considering? Is the father's name blank on his birth certificate (if after 1837)? Do you have a baptism record? Depending on the date and status of the family are poor law records relevant?

If you can't verify the father then I would follow the mother's line and whichever male line you feel is more appropriate based on family circumstances.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 April 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
I think this also asks the old question "what is family?" is it just genetic or is it the people you grow up with and call family even if there is no blood relationship?

My grandfather was adopted - so the family I have researched are his adopted family, as they are my "relations". I know who his real mother was but as there was never any contact with his birth family I don't feel any real bond with them.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Minimoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 April 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies.
I have birth certificates of both children I was refering to, no father on either and can't find a baptism for the first, haven't yet looked for the second. I'm not sure if the later family members knew their brother was born before the marriage, I'll just go with what I've found.

Siamesegirl, I love your picture I have 3 Siamese cats of my own or rather they have me !!

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 April 10 15:42 BST (UK) »
If you have no father on the birth cert you would need some other real evidence before deciding who was the father.  There's no reason not to follow the line of the mother's husband, but I certainly wouldn't attach that line to the child.
However, it's all a matter of personal choice.  ;)
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 April 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
I have an illigitimate birth of a child called Williamina, luckily the vicar wrote a note which said "the couple have promised to marry in a year".  Eighteen months later, the mother married a man called "William".  When I researched his family I suspect they forbade their son to marry beneath his station. The couple moved away as soon as they married and the family fortune certainly didn't follow them..
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 April 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
A lot of parents of base children did move away. I think it was often to escape shame.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain