Author Topic: Thomas Conder from Ashwell?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Conder from Ashwell?
« on: Monday 12 April 10 01:32 BST (UK) »
Thomas Conder married Mary Baldock 1756 in Ashwell. He died in 1812, also in Ashwell as per PR's As far a I can find out they had 7 children the last being Ann in 1772. My problem is his parents. Many others have his parents as Thomas Conder 1684-1763 & Elizabeth Jeepe 1678-1740.(Orwell,Cam) They had Thomas as being born in 1712 as per Orwell PR's. This would have made him as being around 60 when his daughter Ann was born and him dying aged 100. I just can't get my head around this. Also, I cannot find anything on Mary Baldock which may lead me to a more realistic year of birth to Thomas. Can someone point me in the right direction?Were Thomas and Elizabeth his parents? I am stuck and can't get past this.
Henwood (Oxfordshire)  Conder (Cambridgeshire,Hertfordshire)  Daniels ( Bedfordshire,Warwickshire,Buckinghamshire)

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Conder from Ashwell?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 April 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hertfordshire Names Online lists settlement papers for Thomas Conder from Croydon, Cambridgeshire to Ashwell dated 3 Nov 1784 - document reference D/P7/13/2.  Might be worth a look or ordering.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/indexes/

Whilst the dates and ages mentioned aren't impossible, they are perhaps unlikely.  I'd want to know how the other family trees had obtained them - if it's just "that's the nearest Thomas Conder we've found to Ashwell so it must be him" I'd be very wary.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Richard,I will give that a try although obtaining items HALS is a right pain with them not having online payment.

Regards,Keith. Australia.
Henwood (Oxfordshire)  Conder (Cambridgeshire,Hertfordshire)  Daniels ( Bedfordshire,Warwickshire,Buckinghamshire)

Offline gerardf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 10 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi beedan,

I have been searching Conder's in Ashwell. I agree with you that other research with the Jeap connection is wrong. I have the Settlement certificate referred to showing Thomas and Elizabeth coming from Croydon. This move still poses othe rquestions which I'm not sure if I have come to a safe conclusion.
Please send a PM with your email address and I will forward what details I have.

Gerard