Author Topic: Great Site - Irish Medals - Particpants in 1916 Rising  (Read 9838 times)

Offline genseacher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Great Site - Irish Medals - Particpants in 1916 Rising
« on: Monday 12 April 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
hi all
Not sure whether a link has been posted in relation to irish medals org.

I have just stumbled upon this site today as I was trying to research my granddad
Michael Whelan who was a member of the old IRA and was interned in Frongoch in Wales with Michael Collins still have not found anything concrete in relaton to my grand dad

Please have a look at this site and there is loads of information on this site including participants in the 1916 rising.

http://irishmedals.org/gpage.html

Genseacher
Byrne - Wexford
Carey - Dublin
Clifford - Dublin
Dwyer - Carlow and Wicklow
May - Dublin
Moore - Dublin
Noctor/Naughter - Wexford tarahill
Rooney - Dublin
Rossiter - Wexford
Wafer - Wexford and Dublin
Whelan - Carlow

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great Site - Irish Medals - Particpants in 1916 Rising
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 April 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
I just had a look for a neighbour of my family but he's not there either. He too was in Frongoch.
I did find him in 1911 census with his family. He was Michael Rogers/Micheal Mac Ruaidhri and elsewhere on the internet it says:

" the great writer, seanchai and patriot. Micheal was the great friend of Padraig Pearse and was with him in the G.P.O. in 1916. This nearly forgotten scholar wrote six books in the Irish language, numerous poems and won eight Oireachtas gold medals for oratory and story-telling. From the foundation of Scoil Eanna ( Pearses School ) in Rathfarnham, Dublin in 1908, he was the school gardener and taught practical horticulture to the pupils. He was called " The Mayo Poet " by Douglas Hyde because of the musical quality of his Irish."

This was in relation to a piece of music written for a programme about him.
Unfortunately, I can't find anything else. :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IrishMedals

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 10 01:08 BST (UK) »
genseacher, thank you for the complement.

heywood, if you have more information on Michael Rogers, in particular his home address in 1916 and if possible his Battalion I will add him to the list.
You can email me through the website irishmedals.org

Offline Bobbieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 August 10 14:53 BST (UK) »

Great link ... thanks I hadnt seen this before.

Offline gkavanagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
As far as I can ascertain, the list shown on the Irish Medals site is only of those who signed the 1916 Roll of Honour and not the complete garrison. For example, at least a quarter of those who were in the G.P.O. do not appear on the list. There were many reasons why certain insurgents didn't sign the list. Notable absentees are Irish Citizen Army men, women from Cumann na mBan and those who had emigrated. Others refused to sign out of protest at the way new State had developed and of course some had died by then.
Michael Whelan was a carpenter by trade, and resided at 31 Ballybough Rd. Initially, he was deported to Knutsford Prison on May 1st and was later transferred to Frongoch.
Not only was Micheal O'Ruaidhrai with Pearse in the G.P.O., he was standing beside him when Pearse read the Proclaimation outside on Easter Monday. He was in E Company, 4th Battalion, Dublin Brigade, which was also known as the Rathfarnham Brigade. He was deported to Stafford Jail, before arriving at Frongoch. While there, he thought Irish to his fellow prisoners. He was 54 when he fought in Easter Week and passed away on 1/06/36.

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 12 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hello gensearcher, I hope the following is of some help in your research

The following is taken from the excellent book - Frongoch University of Revolution by Sean OMahony

Dublin City and County ( 926 )

A Michael Whelan is listed, 9 Emerald Square, Dolphins Barn.

The list was taken from the Prisoners Camp Register maintained by the General Council and some internees who were detained from late July onwards are not recorded

CSM

Offline genseacher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 June 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi CSM
Just came across your reply, many thanks for the info above.
Yes this is my grandfather Michael Whelan 7 Emerald Square, Dolphins Barn
Regards
Genseacher
Byrne - Wexford
Carey - Dublin
Clifford - Dublin
May - Dublin
Moore - Dublin
Rooney - Dublin
Rossiter - Wexford
Wafer - Wexford and Dublin
Whelan - Carlow

Offline Galliganfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 February 14 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gensearcher,
I came across your entry re Whelans of Emerald Square when doing some of my family research.  Im researching my grandfather Edward Galligan who I believe was a cousin of the Whelans.  My father still remembers going to Emerald Square to visit Bridgie and Lillie.  That would be around 1945ish.  Is the Michael you speak of, the Michael that is listed on the 1911 census? or a different generation.  My grandfather was first cousin to Frances and John Whelan (cousins of Whelans in Emerald Square we believe).  We are still in touch with the Whelans in Carlow, which we believe are decendents of the same family.  We have more research to do but Id love to know if you have come across any mention of Bernard, Eliza or Edward Galligan?  :)

Offline genseacher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 March 14 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Galliganfamily

Great to hear from you. Hopefully I have found a break through on my Whelan side of family.

Yes Michael Whelan of 7 Emerald Square is my grandfather (maternal).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Usher_s_Quay/Emerald_Square/59588/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Ushers_Quay/Thomas_Street/1303368/

Michael Whelan's parents were Patrick Whelan and Anne Whelan nee Dwyer, from their marriage record which I obtained from GRO Patrick's father was James Whelan of Rhallen Carlow I'd say that is Rathellin Rathellen Rathallen.

I really know nothing more about the Whelan's going back
Can you tell me more about the connection between the Galligan's and Whelan's
Who is Frances and John Whelan
I have contacted my mother to ask her to check to see if anyone knows the name Galligan.

I think if you need to private message me you need to do 3 posts
Hopefully we can help one another

Regards
Genseacher
Byrne - Wexford
Carey - Dublin
Clifford - Dublin
May - Dublin
Moore - Dublin
Rooney - Dublin