Author Topic: Marriage of James Parker & Catherine Atkinson, 1820, Braddan IoM  (Read 6146 times)

Offline babu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage of James Parker & Catherine Atkinson, 1820, Braddan IoM
« on: Thursday 24 March 05 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the Parish Registers of Braddan for 1820?  According to the IGI James PARKER married Catherine ATKINSON at Braddan on 20th July 1820 - I desperately need to find out anything I can about James' origins.
He was born about 1798, deduced from his age at death, and he and Catherine emigrated to Tasmania, settled at a property they christened Parknook (or Park Nook), and founded an extensive family there. I don't know where he was born or who his parents were, but suspect that he may have been a PARKER of Parknook, near Gosforth, Cumbria - and if this is so, BINGO, I claim those PARKERs of Tasmania as cousins!

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of James Parker & Catherine Atkinson, 1820, Braddan IoM
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 03:45 GMT (UK) »
It's been a long time since you posted this so I don't know if you've managed to find any information yet.  If not, a couple of suggestions:

Go to your nearest LDS (Mormons) Family History Centre and request (micro)film no: 0106710.  This will give you the registry office copy of the marriage entries in the parish register for Braddan 1817-1844.  The entry for the marriage for James and Catherine should be there.  In 1820 you won't get extensive information but it should tell you where James is from if he is not from IOM (but if he had been living on IOM for a while before the marriage it might only give his residence on the island).  Unfortunately you won't get parents names.

Otherwise try posting a message on the IOM genealogy message board (very active) at:
http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes
asking if someone can look up the parish register for you.

Good luck,
Ruth
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin

Offline Kate OC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 August 19 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, i don't know if you are still searching.  But i do know lots about James Parker and Catherine who settled at Parknook near Cressy in Tasmania.  Their eldest daughter Mary ann married my husband's anscestor Arthur OConnor, son of Roderic OConnor who sailed out to Tasmania (VDL) in 1823. The Parkers and OConnors were all on the ship together and clearly had a linked past and future. i have a full document of all the relations one generation back (James' father Timothy and Anna Hoskins from Cumbrerland) and much on the later Australian family which is now vast.
we still reside at Connorville (my husband is generation Number 6) on the Lake River opposite Parknook which has long since been lost to the Parker family. There are many family gravestones located at St Marks church, Pisa which is the local church.
Hope this helps
Kate OConnor, Connorville, Cressy, Tasmania

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 August 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
Marriage registers, from the Isle of Man, at that time did not mention any parents.
Any parish mentioned will be where the person was living at the time (NOT the place of birth).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Kate OC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 08:30 BST (UK) »
It is my understanding that James Parker's father was Timothy Parker, a wealthy gentleman who resided near Coniston Lake, Westmorland.  He was born 4th November 1748 and died in 1805 having married on the 4th August, 1778, Anna Hoskins, who was the sister of Thomas Hoskins of the High, near Bassinthwait Lake, Cumberland and by whom he had a numerous family. 
James Parker was their 10th Child born 1 april 1793 and died May 1868 in Tasmania.
He went to Cambridge but did not take a degree. He married in 1818 Catherine Atkinson the daughter of a respectable farmer on the Isle of Man said to have been a very hansom girl.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 September 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
Cath was dau of John Atkinson + Mary Mathews (neither Manx Names) - their several children were baptised at Douglas St Matthews in the cente of old Douglas - John Atkinson was an interesting character - eg one deed of sale was: [Douglas]dated 8 Nov 1791; William Powell Buck(papermaker, Cockermouth but now Douglas) + wife Lucy(d/o late Paul Kelly, Douglas) sell for £240(British) to John Atkinson(watchmaker + dealer, Douglas) that capital dwelling house messuage being that Inn known as the White Lion inn adj James Kelly(atty at law), Richd Symons and Elizth Oates(spinster), the late Paul Kelly and the Street or Parade - also the Billard table etc + seat in St Matthew's - currently in occp of Robert Twentyman(innkeeper); Robt Moore junr, Rt Twentyman, Richd Comish

space now approx under the car/lorry park at the sea terminal

(corrected where the church seat was! - torn along fold in original)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline CPMCJSC1945

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 November 19 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Charles here, I have a history of the Parker family dating back to the 16th century including James and Catherine Parker who married in The Isle of Mann in 1820 and sailed on the Ardent to Tasmania in 1823.

My wife and I are travelling from Scotland to Melbourne in late February 2020.  We are taking The Spirit to Tasmania and will be staying within easy reach of Parknook, Lake River during the first week in march.  Should anyone want to get in touch or meet up. just let me know.

Charles Cooper son of Patricia Parker