Author Topic: Carlyle Scotland  (Read 8359 times)

Offline popkiwi

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carlyle Scotland
« on: Wednesday 14 April 10 05:40 BST (UK) »
I am searching for George Carlyle who was born in Scotland in about 1832. I have no idea in which county.
George emigrated to Australia and later moved on to New Zealand from Melbourne in 1863.
This all the information we have on him.
Unable to send new password as you have changed your email address - please click on the contact us bottom

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
Re: Carlyle Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 08:39 BST (UK) »
Have you searched the LDS IGI? A search between 1822 and 1842 shows 4 George Carlyle's -

GEORGE CARLYLE b. 18 Aug 1825 Strands, Saint Mungo, Dumfries to William Carlyle and Joan Bell.

GEORGE CARLYLE b. 19 Jul 1829 Annan, Dumfries to Christopher Carlyle and Helen Little.

GEORGE CARLYLE b. 1837 Scotland to Walter Carlyle and Jean Moffet. Spouse Nancy, married about 1862 "Mi, U.S...ontario"

GEORGE CARLYLE b. 22 Nov 1838 Kirkpatrick-Fleming, Dumfries to Thomas Carlyle and Ann Bell.

Canisp.
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

A search on the 1841 census (you can access it via Freecen) shows a George Carlyle, aged 9, in Dornoch village, Dumfriesshire. Unfortunately, the 1841 doesn't show relationships but the head of household appears to be a John Carlyle, aged 45, a farmer and bacon dealer, land proprietor and miller. There is no female listed who might be a mother/wife.

On the 1851, the family are still in Dornock, and George is listed as 'son' of John, no mother.

A search on Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk shows this baptism:

21 Jan 1832, Dornock, Dumfriesshire George Scott Carlyle, s/o John Carlyle and Marrianne Sloan

This is the only George Carlyle with that approximate birthdate in Scotland in the two censuses and the only one appearing in the baptisms, 1830-1835 (all parishes, all counties) using Carl*le .

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I've just run a quick check on the 1861 and 1871 censuses and this particular George is not in Scotland so it looks a strong possible that he's yours.

I've not checked in Eng and Wales or for deaths.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 09:17 BST (UK) »
No deaths in Scotland and not on Eng & Wales census as far as I can see so it looks very promising.

The IGI are only showing females births for Dornock. SP has the following with parents as John Carl*le and Marianne Sloan:

1821 John
1824 Nicholas
1826  David Scott
1828 James
1832 Dorothy Knubley and George Scott
1834 Jane
1836  Marianne
1838 Isabella
1840 Elizabeth Ann

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 09:38 BST (UK) »
Going back further, there is only one baptism of a John Carl*le showing in Dornock at the approx time:

4 March 1794 John  son of John Carlyle

Unfortunately, they don't have mothers' names recorded at that time   :(

However, a good result for Marianne Sloan which fits with the  name of one of the children:

Dornock 11 Nov 1798 Marianne Knuble(y) Sloan daughter of Nicholas Sloan and Dorothy Knubley

:)

Gadget

Offline popkiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 April 10 23:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Canisp and Gadget for your findings - I shall study them and see where they lead me.

Thanks again - Evan
Unable to send new password as you have changed your email address - please click on the contact us bottom

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 April 10 00:20 BST (UK) »
Evan does George's NZ death certificate give his parent's names? I believe they do if the death occurred after 1875?

Do you have George's immigration details to Australia? That will help narrow down which of the George's might be yours.

Did George emigrate with any relatives that you can cross check with any of the possibles that Gadget found?

Have you checked for any obituaries in newspapers which may mention where he came from?

Offline popkiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 April 10 01:04 BST (UK) »
Gadget/Ruskie - This is my wifes family and it is very confusing.

We don't have any info on George b 1832 apart from  his wife, Eliza Smith and their son George Carlyle jnr, b 1864..

Their is no death cert or marriage cert to be found in NZ, so we tend to think he never actually married and he may have gone back to either Scotland or Australia.
We have his entry into NZ via Melbourne, Aust. So we need to find a passenger list from Scotland to Aust between 1832 and 1864. I don't know if they travelled directly from Scotland or had to leave from Liverpool or London.
 - Evan