Author Topic: Carlyle Scotland  (Read 8349 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carlyle Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 April 10 01:20 BST (UK) »
We have his entry into NZ via Melbourne, Aust. So we need to find a passenger list from Scotland to Aust between 1832 and 1864. I don't know if they travelled directly from Scotland or had to leave from Liverpool or London.
 - Evan

Did he travel on the same ship from Scotland all the way to NZ via Melbourne? Or did he disembark in Melbourne and later travel to NZ?

I'm thinking if he got off at Melbourne there must be some record of him arriving - you may be able to follow that up to see if he was travelling with any relatives. It might also tell you his age and occupation and where the ship left from.

I take it Eliza and George Jnr stayed in NZ? Did George and Eliza have any more children?

Offline popkiwi

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 April 10 01:39 BST (UK) »
George jnr had my wifes father and two other siblings, all have died and left no info.
We think George snr was in Aust for a while, on George jnr birth cert, father was a STOCKMAN, which is an Aussie expression.
I have tried to find passenger lists for him arriving in Aust a while ago, but no success - really, I don't know how to do it.
Unable to send new password as you have changed your email address - please click on the contact us bottom

Offline popkiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 April 10 01:50 BST (UK) »
George snr sailed from Melbourne to Otago, NZ, on the Saint Clair in Jan 1863 but I cannot find that ship anywhere.
Unable to send new password as you have changed your email address - please click on the contact us bottom

Offline popkiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 April 10 02:21 BST (UK) »
Following is all info I have on George Carlyle -

Left Melbourne on 23/01/1863 on the 'Saint Clair' arriving in Port Chalmers, Otago, NZ.
1867-1869, lived in Naesby-Manuherikia District electoral role.
1870 - livedin Naesby, Mount Ida electorate
1871-1873, lived in Kyeburn, Mount Ida eletorate.
1874 - lived in Maerewhenua, Mount Ida electorate.

So, he arrived in NZ 1863. Son George jnr was born in Geraldine in 1864, therefore it is possible Geo snr married Eliza Smith in Australia. There is no record of their marriage in NZ.

The last record of him is the 1874 electorate record. No death cert found. So maybe he left Eliza and went back to Aust or Scotland. Eliza had to stay in NZ to bring up Geo jnr.

It's trying to match up Geo snr to where he was born in Scotland that we are after, I think the posting by Gadget was looking very good.

Evan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 April 10 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Evan  :)

He was the only George Carl*le that fitted in theScottish records and he seems to disappear from the Sctottish records after 1851 so I think that he is the most likely. 

I see Ruskie's helping you at the other end  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline popkiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 April 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
Good morning - As we suspect that George Carlyle b 1832 is our man, and that he was born in Dornoch Dumfries - how do I get a birth cert to prove it?

I am fairly certain that he is our man. - Evan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Evan  :)

There won't be a birth cert as such but if you go to Scotland's People and use the info that I gave about the baptism, you will be able to get his baptism record.

It's a pay to view site but very reasonable:

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gylmor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Evan,

I've just come across this discussion about George Carlyle and if you are correct in being interested in GC born 1832 I would like to discuss further as his twin sister Dorothy Knubley Carlyle is my Great-great grandmother.
I know very little about George, but do have proof he was in Otago in 1888, and probably back in England in the 1890's as my grandfather (born 1888) recalled that "as a lad" the yarns he told him were exciting !

Gylmor

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 January 12 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gylmor,

Would he have lived in Carlisle, because on FreeBMD, there is a George Scott Carlyle death in March quarter of 1899 in Carlisle, aged 67, which would confirm birth in 1832.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.