Author Topic: Julia Neill  (Read 9606 times)

Offline TonyN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Julia Neill
« on: Thursday 15 April 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on a Julia Neill.  She gave birth to a son in the county home, Rathdrum, Co Wicklow in July 1925.  Any information would be greatly appreciated

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Julia Neill
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 April 10 18:30 BST (UK) »
What information are you searching for, and what details do you already have on Julia ?

Your can search the civil index for references and order birth, marriage and death certs from the GRO - see : 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records

There's at least one possible match for the birth of her son in the index -a XXXX Neill born Jul/Sept Qtr, 1925 in the district of Rathdrum... let me know if you want me to post the references

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline TonyN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

thanks for the reply.  The problem is, that I have no information on Julia, other than she gave birth to my wife's father.  He was adopted.  Other than his adopted family we have no information on his ancestery.  We did managed to get a record of his birth (just today).  That's how we got Julia's name.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 April 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
It will be very difficult to trace any details of Julia without any clues to her age or origins...  is Neill her married or maiden name, is there a father named on the cert etc ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 April 10 19:06 BST (UK) »
Please be aware that we do not allow any details of living people to be posted on rootschat.   Generally that means anyone born after 1920 or so so please take care with what you post.  You can use our personal message system to send later details.  Click on the green scroll under the name.
Regards
Andrea

Offline TonyN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 April 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Unfortunately, Julia Neill... is all I have.  There was no maiden name or fathers name on the birth record.  I would have to assume that she was an unmarried mother.  I know it will be very difficult to trace her.  But you never know somebody out there might know something.  Thanks again

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 April 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Other someone turning up knowing details on Julia, the only other way to progress that I can think of is to try a few birth certs for a Julia Neill (or maybe O'Neill) born in the Rathdrum area maybe 18-20 years before and maybe find some clues that way ?

It seems likely that she would be from the general area, and it might be possible to eliminate one or two findings by checking for marriages before 1924.. thereby narrowing down the list.

All that is of course a gamble, it assumes Julia was a young, unmarried mother, used her real name, was from the area etc... but might be worth a try in the absence of any other clues.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

If he was born in Rathdrum the chances are he was baptised in Parish of St Mary & Michael, Rathdrum Co Wicklow. You could try for a baptismal certificate.

Don’t give up hope just yet. At present I have only bad news for you. I undertook research some years ago for a friend, whose mother had been born in Rathdrum, and found it very difficult. With the help of the then Archivist in Wicklow County Council, I had access to these books (1928-1940) with some success. Unfortunately the County Wicklow Board of Health Minute Books, are in the Wicklow County Council Archives, in Wicklow Town, but they have not had an Archivist for nearly two years now, so the books cannot now be inspected. They give ‘Admitted to’ and ‘Discharged from’ Rathdrum, of Mother, and baby. Being adopted this child kept her mother’s surname.

Also in these Archives are, Reports of Sup. Assistance Officer. I know they give details of adoptions or ‘fostering out’ of children, sometimes referred to as a ‘nurse child’.  They give details of schooling in the early years. I came across a case where the child had been absent from school and a visit to the adopted parents was called for. A Doctor’s certificate proved the child had measles and that was why she had not been to school.

If I can get any more details I will post them on to you.

Julia
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline TonyN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia,

Thanks for you reply and assistance.  It is something worth checking out regarding the batism.  As you know any little helps.

Thanks again

Tony