Author Topic: Baxter  (Read 15808 times)

Offline faraci

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baxter
« on: Tuesday 20 April 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find out info on my gg grandmother Harriet Florence Baxter born c 1838 - 1842 in St Neots. Her father was John Oliver Baxter - an engineer (as per her marriage certificate) ? who her mother was. She has some family connection with Ann Baxter/Walton but I am not sure if this was her mother.
Family 'story' is that Harriet's parents were wealthy and disowned her when she married James Cooke  in 1860 at St Saviours Church, Chelsea. She apparently eloped. James was a soldier.
Harriet and James had 8 children Florence Sarah, Elizabeth, John James,Emma Harriet, Harry Herbert, Clara, Edith Mary and Alice Annie.
Harriet was  educated as she taught my grandmother at home when my g.mother couldn't go to school. 
Can anyone provide any info as I am completely stuck!!
Thank you
Suzanne

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baxter
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Suzanne,   & welcome to RootsChat

The 1841 census has living in Huntingdon Street, St. Neots
Ann Baxter age 32 plus Benjamin 13, William 10, Mary 8, David 8 & Harriett age 6. All born in Hunts.
HO107/454 Folio 19 Page 30

On to 1851 & at Lamas Court, St James Clerkenwell is Ann Baxter widow age 39; Laundress & son William age 19 & daughter Harriett age 14,  all born St Neots Hunts.
 HO107/1517 Folio 404 Page 31

Is this your Harriett ?

Regards John

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline faraci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Thanks for your reply.
I have this information, but I am not sure it is my Harriet. The names of her siblings ie Benjamin, William, Mary and David do not feature in the names of Harriet's own children. From 1860 onwards (Harriet's marriage and the only definite piece of information I have on her) her name is always given as Harriet Florence in all the censuses, whereas before 1860  it does not feature at all.
The family 'story' of her parents being wealthy and my impression that Harriet had had some education has confused my search. Ann Baxter is described as a laundress in all the censuses. In 1881 Ann (Walton - did she marry again) is living with Harriet and James Cooke in Worcester as is described as Mother in Law - former laundress.
I cannot find any info at all on John Oliver Baxter - Harriet's father.
Where did the name Florence come from. Florence was mainly a male name in the early 1800's and became popular as a first name after Florence Nightingale. Was it a maiden /surname carried forward
It was important to Harriet as she named her first daughter Florence Sarah (Sarah after her husband's mother). The naming of her second daughter Elizabeth (my g.grandmother) is also a mystery - who was she named after?
Regards
Suzanne

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
I have St Neots baptisms at home, and if and when I ever get back thanks to volcanic ash, I'll see what I can find. Managed to get a Eurostar to Paris tomorrow, so should be home on Friday morning

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline faraci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks David
Good luck getting home
Suzanne

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
Interestingly I have two contacts on Genes Reunited who share a relation of mine, & I have access to their trees; which have the Ann Baxter & children (as per 1841 census). Unfortunately there is no information there regarding Harriett's father.  Her brother Benjamin born 1828 St Neots, married & Mary in 1850 & their first son was John (after Benjamin's father ?). There is a marriage index in St Neots RD vol 14 page 307 in Sept 1850 that has Benjamin Baxter & either Mary Paine or Mary Sumers. On the 1851 census Benjamin's wife Mary was born 1829 Yelling, Cambs. If you get his  marriage cerificate it will give his father's name & then confirm (or not) this is your Harriett's family.

Regards John
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline faraci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Good thinking!!
I have just ordered the marriage certificate for Benjamin & Mary.
Thanks for your advice. Didn't think of doing it.
Regards
Suzanne

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 April 10 10:04 BST (UK) »
In 1827 John Baxter married Ann Richards at St Neots, which fits with the census family that John found. Baptisms at St Neots of children of John and Ann were:
Benjamin 13 Sept 1829
John 13 Sept 1829 (privately on 2 Sept 1829)
William 31 Jan 1831
John is described as a labourer each time

Harriett Florence Baxter was baptised on 6 April 1856 at St Pancras (born 28 Aug 1838) dau of John and Ann, clerk, of St Stephen's Terrace. She may have decided herself to add her middle name, Florence, as 1856 would have been at the height of Florence Nightingale's popular fame.

I wonder of Harriett exaggerated her father's status - she wouldn't have been the first to have done this.  He seems to have had career changes though, labourer - clerk - engineer!

It will be interesting to see if on Benjamin's marriage cert his father is described as John Oliver, or just plain John. I can't see a marriage in Hunts between a Baxter and an Oliver, nor can I see a baptism of a John Oliver Baxter in St Neots

Have you found Ann in 1861 and 1871? What are the references as I'm struggling? Virtually no sleep last night on the train may be a factor!

But "former laundress" in 1881 ties in with "laundress" in 1851

John - have you got the NBI to see if there are any John Baxter burials 1837-41 in St Neots? I've sent mine off to get the upgrade to NBI3

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline faraci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 April 10 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Pleased you got back to UK alright.
Thank you so much for all that information.
I have got to go out in a minute but I'll have a look at the info I've got for 1871/1881 and get back to you.
Thanks again
Suzanne