Author Topic: *COMPLETE* Thame PR lookup please CLEMMANS or HEATON  (Read 1251 times)

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
*COMPLETE* Thame PR lookup please CLEMMANS or HEATON
« on: Wednesday 21 April 10 05:55 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with the birth of a James John Clemmans in Thame around 1791, he notes it as his birthplace on all census records. His parents were James and Ann. I am really after his mother's maiden name, or any connection at all with the HEATON family. Any information about either family could be useful. Its possible James and Ann were married in Thame before 1791. Most grateful thanks in advance as I have no other way of accessing the information - live overseas.
Maggie
Hunter, Hurst, Forbes from Northumberland and Durham. Sandham, Malone, Gregory from Lancashire.
NSW, Australia, Quebec, Canada.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Thame PR lookup please CLEMMANS or HEATON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

I've looked in the Thame PRs (Oxfordshire FHS CD) and there's quite a bit about this baptism so I'll copy out what it says:

"baptised May 4 1791 James Clements s/o **John & Ann from London.

On Folio 102 of the first register, there is a note as follows:-

The above is a true extract from the Register Book of Baptisms belonging to the parish of Thame in the county of Oxford taken this 27 day of October 1838 by me T T Lee - vicar.

I received the following on 2nd day of April 1839 of Mr Clemmans - TT Lee, vicar.

James John Clemmans of Holywell Row in the parish of St Leonard, Shoreditch, London called upon Revd TT Lee of the parish of Thame, Oxfordshire on Tuesday 2nd April 1839 and stated that he is the person to whom the above Register refers and that the above was registered in error as he verily believes and of which he is informed by Mr John Howlett of this parish who was present at his baptism.

Witness: Thos Howlett, Dinton, Bucks & John Howlett of Thame, Oxon."

[** definitely says John not James as the father]

Make of that what you will!! Pity it doesn't make any attempt to say where he WAS baptised!! Intriguing!!

There are no Clements (or any spelling variation) marriages in Thame between 1601 and 1837, and just one Heaton marriage which is probably not relevant:

Oct 8 1782 David Heaton of the parish of Brading in the Isle of White [sic] & X Elizabeth Howlett of this parish. Witnesses: John Hunt, Sarah West .

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Thame PR lookup please CLEMMANS or HEATON
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 10 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Wow!!! How intriguing! This family are certainly leading me on quite a chase!  Thankyou so very much for your wonderful help. This is definitely the baptism I was looking for, and now I know that the family were probably in the area for business and did not originate from there. I think the Heaton marriage is very relevant and all thanks to you finding it. I have a David Heaton b. 1783 not sure where, father David mother unknown. He names James John Clemmans as his cousin and executor in his will. Hence my interest in the Clemmans, I was hoping for some family connection. It seems likely (have to now prove) that Elizabeth Howlett may be the mother of my david. Perhaps Ann Clemmans was her sister ??Anyway, very intersting that 2 Howletts are witnesses to J.J's claim about the baptism. A lot to untangle. Maybe Howlett is an Oxfordshire name...

Once again thankyou so much,
kind regards, Maggie
Hunter, Hurst, Forbes from Northumberland and Durham. Sandham, Malone, Gregory from Lancashire.
NSW, Australia, Quebec, Canada.