Author Topic: Struggling to date this one - help please?- COMPLETED, THANKS!  (Read 2126 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Struggling to date this one - help please?- COMPLETED, THANKS!
« on: Saturday 24 April 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
This is a very frustrating photo as the people in it look like 'mine' but I can't match them to a family group in my tree  :(

I'm not good at visual stuff at all, so I'd be really grateful for any idea about -
a) when the photo was taken
b) how old the people in it might have been at the time.

The back gives the photographer as H. M. Neale & Co Artists in Photography 98 Victoria St. Bristol.

Looking at the site for Bristol photographers, this firm seems to have been around at least from the late 1890s to the 1920s so I don't know if that's any help.

One other question - I have 2 portraits of what I think might be the same girls. It's the same photographer but they both appear to be dressed in nighties. Was this normal?  :o

Thanks very much for reading this

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling to date this one - help please?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 10 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

Given the girls' outfits and the boy's collar, I'd say 1911-1915 ish.

Not sure what you mean about nighties. I don't think they would be  - have you go a scan of it  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 April 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Thank you so much  :-*   I really am completely useless at dating. I just sent a cousin a family photo I thought might be her and she thinks I'm off by around 50 years  :-[  I probably am too....

Am just scanning the nightie photos and will post shortly. Have you got any feel for how old any of this lot might be?

Thanks again

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 April 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
Guessing but I'd say that 'Mum' is maybe late 30s, girls mid teens and the little lad about 7 ish. Not sure at all about father - maybe 40s.
Thinking that I might add a bit more to the date range - say to 1918.  I've got some photos of rellies in that kind of collar  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 April 10 15:04 BST (UK) »
I'm working through my tree looking at families that might fit the pattern - thanks!

Here's what I think are the same girls....

Angela

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 April 10 15:09 BST (UK) »
They do look very similar  :)

I'd say that they are dresses rather than nighties. Have a look here in the 1910-1920 section:

http://www.cartes.fsnet.co.uk/date/main.htm

Gadget

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 April 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hmmmmm.... I see what you mean. I can't see anything quite as unstructured as these but the collars are very similar. Given the churchy-looking photo set and the flowers I thought they were trying to make some sort of unsubtle point about innocence  ::)

Thanks very much for the ideas, Gadget - I shall carry on trying to fit them into my tree with a better idea of time-frame.

Angela

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 April 10 15:25 BST (UK) »
They could be confirmation dresses - which are traditionally white. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 April 10 16:24 BST (UK) »
Possibly bridesmaids ??
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk