Author Topic: Anzac Day ***completed***  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Anzac Day ***completed***
« on: Sunday 25 April 10 00:07 BST (UK) »
Always a special day to go and visit ancestors at the cemetery..if you are able
The RSA section at Thames, which commands a grand view of the town always looks so impressive with all the crosses out.  :'(
BYe
Althea

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Anzac Day
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 10 00:11 BST (UK) »
What a grand view Althea.

I will be off to the cemetery later to see the poppies on my parents grave :'(

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbe_nz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 April 10 00:44 BST (UK) »
What a lovely view Althea.    I shall be off tomorrow to see the poppies on my distant cousins grave at the cemetery down here at Ruru Lawn Cemetery.

We shall remember them

Newbe
Purcell, - Limerick - Ireland,Australia, Westland, NZ
Coppell  - England 1734 to now, New Zealand - 1853 to now
Buckby - England, Australia, New Zealand - 1630 to now
Smith New Zealand
Parker -England - New Zealand  - 1800 to now
Lilley,Lillie, Lilly  - England -New Zealand - 1800 to now
Dykins - Wales, England, New Zealand -  1752 to now
Reynolds, England- 1800 to now
Newdick -Norfolk and Suffolk England , Australia, New Zealand - 1700 to now

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 April 10 00:56 BST (UK) »
Lest we forget
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline newbe_nz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 April 10 00:59 BST (UK) »
That is so beautiful Leandra

Have work later today. Normally wear my poppy at work but missed out on getting one this year :'( :'(

Newbe
Purcell, - Limerick - Ireland,Australia, Westland, NZ
Coppell  - England 1734 to now, New Zealand - 1853 to now
Buckby - England, Australia, New Zealand - 1630 to now
Smith New Zealand
Parker -England - New Zealand  - 1800 to now
Lilley,Lillie, Lilly  - England -New Zealand - 1800 to now
Dykins - Wales, England, New Zealand -  1752 to now
Reynolds, England- 1800 to now
Newdick -Norfolk and Suffolk England , Australia, New Zealand - 1700 to now

Offline GailS

• RootsChat Senior
  • William ANDREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 April 10 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

10 yr old son and I went to the Anzac parade here in Eltham this morning, it was very nice and a good crowd turned out, so sad to see the number of the older veterens dwindling. My Dad served in the navy in WW2 and he was not a big fan of Anzac Day parades although I do remember seeing him march in one.

Later this morning OH and above son and I walked around Hawera cemetery, was a popular thing as there was many people wandering around, I felt very close to tears when I came across a headstone that just said Esme, died (had a date) age 6 and a half years.

Lest we forget.
CORNWALL, Andrew, Whitford, Harris, Jeffery, Blight.
ENGLAND-LONDON, Allingham, Warbey, Alloway, Gunter.
               -NOTTINGHAM, Ball, Lewis.
IRELAND-SWORDS, Rogers, Reynolds.
SCOTLAND, Thomson, Neil, Wilson, McMillan, Weddell,
NEW ZEALAND, All of the above.

Offline Bugly

• RootsChat Extra
  • 5th generation Kiwis living in Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 April 10 04:32 BST (UK) »
Although resident in Australia for the last 30 years, I returned to New Zealand in March 2006 to pay my last respects to my mother, who had just passed away. It was a time of reflection, for it was unknown when I would be next back in New Zealand.

I was determined to catch up with many friends and relations during my time on the east side of the Tasman, and while traveling from Tauranga to Auckland, I remembered that my Uncle James Cowan, his wife Agnes and daughter Mary apparently used to own a farm at Hunua. I decided to drop in and see if I could find them.

I certainly did. To my delight, they were still at Hunua, right where they had been for the last eighty to a hundred years. After making enquiries at the local ‘Parks’ office as to the existence of an old cemetery in the area, I was directed to the Hunua Presbyterian Church on Lockwood Road. There they were, down in the back corner of the graveyard.  The gravesite was obviously cared for by the groundsman for the church, for which I am very grateful. The headstone had at some stage fallen, and was lying across the plot but it had been placed so that the headstone was legible. To those concerned, thanks for that!

I didn’t know my uncle, as he was born at Mahurangi, north of Auckland in 1855 compared to my birth almost 100 years later. James was the fourth child to Henry and Catherine Cowan, Catherine Lochead having arrived in Auckland from Scotland on the first immigrant ship “Duchess of Argyle” on 8 October 1842.

James Lochead Bradly Cowan married Agnes Wilson Mackie in Auckland on 25 December 1880, and had three sons and five daughters between 1881 and 1897. Their youngest son Robert Mackie Cowan was born at Drury in June 1891, an indication that at least by this date the Cowan family was already farming at Hunua. Two subsequent daughters, Mary and Ivy, were also born at Drury. I would love to find out more about their time in the Hunua area.

So you can see that James and Agnes Cowan and their family were relatively early residents in the Hunua area.

When I dropped in to Hunua that day, ANZAC day was just around the corner, so I reflected on the cost of the Great War to the family of James Cowan. Of James and Agnes’s three sons, two were killed and one wounded.

Second son Private James Henry Lochead Cowan (regimental service number 20971) was serving with the 1st Battalion, Wellington Infantry Regiment NZEF in France, where he was wounded during action against the enemy. He died aged 29 on 8 June 1917. James Cowan is remembered at a memorial in the Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension (Nord) in France. James had been educated at the Hunua School, and took an active part in all sports in the district. Prior to enlisting for service overseas, James Junior was manager of the Waikato Dairying Company’s cheese factory.

Eldest son Private Peter Mackie Cowan (regimental service number 51557) served with the 1st Battalion, Auckland Infantry Regiment NZEF in the Somme in France, where he was killed in action aged 33 on 20 July 1918. Peter Cowan is remembered at a memorial at the Gommecourt Wood New Cemetery in Foncquevillers, France.

James and Agnes’s youngest son Robert Mackie Cowan, who was also educated at the Hunua School, was wounded while serving overseas. At twenty five years of age, he was luckily able to return home. Robert is buried in the cemetery at the Pukekohe East Presbyterian Church on Runciman Road.

Aside from James and Agnes’s immediate family, the Great War also saw the death of three of their nephews. James older brother Henry Cowan, a brewer at Mangatainoka, and his wife Sarah had two sons, both of whom died of wounds sustained while serving overseas.

Lieutenant Henry Rawlings Cowan (regimental service number 10/116) was serving with the ‘D’ Company, Wellington Infantry Regiment NZEF at Gallipoli, where he was wounded in action. Henry died on 13 May 1915 at sea on board a hospital ship, after being evacuated from the Gallipoli peninsula. Henry Cowan is remembered at a memorial at the Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery in Egypt.

Sergeant William Henry Cowan (regimental service number 13/2285) was serving with the 16th (Waikato) Company, 2nd Battalion, Auckland Infantry Regiment NZEF in France, where he was wounded in action. William died of his wounds on 15 September 1916. William Cowan is remembered at a memorial at the Quarry Cemetery in Montauban in France.

James Cowan’s sister Catherine and her husband Robert Henderson lost their son David Henderson, who died on 6 Nov 1918 age 31 of wounds sustained in action in France. David Henderson (regimental service number 66167) served with the 1st Battalion, Canterbury Regiment NZEF in France. David is remembered by a memorial at the Caudry British Cemetery in France.

I guess that this story is similar to many ANZAC stories passed down through the generations. As is said, ‘Lest We Forget’.

Robert
COWAN, ex Scotland
LOCHEAD, ex Scotland
RAYNEL, ex Channel Islands
KENNEDY, ex Scotland
SCANDLYN, ex Cornwall
McWILLIAMS, ex Northern Ireland
ADAMS, ex England

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 April 10 06:14 BST (UK) »
HI Robert
Yes it seems some families have certainly suffered from wars
I know just from looking at Thames memorials that several families lost more than one son. When I was helping with the burial locator again there were many..and amazing how some communities lost so many young men in the wars.
Bye for now
Althea

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 April 10 06:33 BST (UK) »

Two subsequent daughters, Mary and Ivy, were also born at Drury. I would love to find out more about their time in the Hunua area.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Your Cowans were well known in the area, from what I can make out in a book I have of "Hunua" , only a small snippet on Ivy (if it is the same one) of playing in a duet, but the best place to find out more would be the Papakura NZSG.      I haven't been there for quiet a while, but if you would like me to have a hunt around, please PM me.   

A lovely little cemetery at Hunua Presbyterian.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk