Author Topic: Regiments of Foot  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Renaud

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regiments of Foot
« on: Sunday 25 April 10 12:28 BST (UK) »
I am researching one Abraham Danvers born 1825 at Diseworth, Leicestershire. In 1847 or 1848 he enlisted in the army and became a career soldier attaining the rank of sergeant. I have found record of him on the 1851 Stoke Damerel census and 1861 Chatham census but no indication of what regiment he was in.
I am looking for evidence that he served in the 1853 to 1856 Crimean War. In 1867 he was on recruiting service in Shepshed market place and died there of a sudden seizure.
 Ideas of how I could locate his regiment would be very much appreciated.
                                               Renaud.  :) ;)

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Regiments of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
found abraham on 1841 census mistranscribed as danon with parents and siblings there is also a jane wardle also born diseworth leics she is 78 so could be abrahams grandmother
William Danon 42
Elizabeth Danon 38
Thomas Danon 18
Abraham Danon 15
Jane Danon 11
Elizah Danon 9
Amos Danon 7
Sarah Danon 2
Jane Wardle 78

kerry
kerry

tustin,harrison,blizzard,bradshaw

warwickshire birmingham staffs

Offline Renaud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 April 10 13:00 BST (UK) »
Yes Kerry I am aware of the 1841 glitch, which is some way removed from the correct spelling. Makes one wonder if the census official had taken a break in the local and was slightly merry when he knocked on the Danvers door.
 Many thanks and regards, Renaud  ;D ;D

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 April 10 13:04 BST (UK) »
If he's in barracks with other soldiers on those 1851 & 1861 censuses, scroll back till you find the names of the officers and make a note of them.
Officers are easier to look up to find the regiment.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 April 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Yes Kerry I am aware of the 1841 glitch, which is some way removed from the correct spelling. Makes one wonder if the census official had taken a break in the local and was slightly merry when he knocked on the Danvers door.

Looking at the original, with the benefit of the background knowledge:  he seems to have written 'Danves'.  Give the poor man a break, he had to copy the information from the household forms, many of which would have been poorly written or unclear.

It does look a little like Danon, can't really blame the transcriber too much.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 April 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Renaud

You seem to have a lot of information about his army career, so I am surprised you have nothing telling you his regiment. The officers in the 1851 census all belong to the 4th (King's Own) Regiment of Foot. I have a medal roll for the Crimea but where he would be is illigible.

It gives his regiment on the 1861 census - 1/4th Regt - ie the 1st Battalion of the 4th Foot. They created a 2nd Battalion in 1857. And he is a Sergeant.

Ken

Offline Renaud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 April 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thank's everyone for the assistance, I will absorb the informative advice and investigate further.
It would appear (in accordance with Ken's advice) that Abraham enlisted in the 1st Battalion of the 4th (The Kings Own) Regiment of Foot first raised in 1751 to the very year of his death in 1867.
I am now searching for a picture and details of the type of uniform he would have worn, cap badge, insignia, etc.
            Really appreciated, Renaud.  :D :D :D

Offline dmbtmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 April 16 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Renaud,

I was wondering if you had uncovered any further information on Abraham Danvers in the intervening five years since this post? He is the 3xgt grandfather of a friend of mine whose tree I'm trying to adumbrate!

Many thanks, David. [insert: Smiley Face]

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 April 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
Regarding his uniform you should Google 'quilted shako'. This helmet was worn throughout the 1860s. The rifle in use started in the Crimean War (1855) with the Enfield muzzle loaded rifle (1853 pattern). And would have been the Snider Enfield breech loader by the time he died.

Thousands of muzzle loaders were converted to breech loaders until sufficient Sniders were available

Ken