Author Topic: Martin family in Merthyr Tydfil  (Read 4785 times)

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Martin family in Merthyr Tydfil
« on: Friday 25 March 05 15:40 GMT (UK) »
My grt grt grt grandmother Margaret Martin was born in Vaynor in 1811. She married William Watkins in 1830 in Vaynor church.
Is there anyone else looking for this family.
There is a mormon connection to this line
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Martin family in Merthyr Tydfil
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 22:00 BST (UK) »
Is this the same Martin family connected to Donny Osmond?
If so there is another here on Rootschat connected to this line.

Yes the Mormon connection was strong with this family and in the area.

I may be wrong but I think Shanko is related to this line. Drop the user an instant message. Perhaps you could confer, to see if I am correct and these lines connect(??)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/sites/merthyr/pages/donnyosmond.shtml

Regards Jen  ;)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 06:51 BST (UK) »
Jen

Your not wrong, tis me the Martin connection from Vaynor, and your also right with the very strong Mormon connection in this Martin line
See your brain isn't so rusty after all Jen :)

Shanko
 ;D

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Both
I haven't found a direct line to the Osmond family as yet but most of the names they are researching  are also in my family tree in the same areas.
My grt grt grt grandmother Margaret Martin was born in Vaynor in 1811, unfortunately the records were damaged for her birth year in a flood. She also married in vaynor church. I have looked into the family and her father seems to be Edward Martin. Her brother Thomas who was a witness in her wedding  , his family emigrated to Utah.
Margaret married William Watkins . I have quite a bit of information from the eighteen hundreds. I have found relatives in Utah and they have passed their family trees to me.
William and Margaret's daughter Elizabeth married Edwin Samuel also from a mormon family.On the mormon family search every name I typed in was being researched by Donny's parents.
Donny Osmonds ancestors are from the same areas as my family ie Loughor, Merthyr, Llanfallteg, etc.
Is there any connection to your martin's.
Gaynor
Merthyr Tydfil
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Both
I haven't found a direct line to the Osmond family as yet but most of the names they are researching  are also in my family tree in the same areas.
My grt grt grt grandmother Margaret Martin was born in Vaynor in 1811, unfortunately the records were damaged for her birth year in a flood. She also married in vaynor church. I have looked into the family and her father seems to be Edward Martin. Her brother Thomas who was a witness in her wedding  , his family emigrated to Utah.
Margaret married William Watkins . I have quite a bit of information from the eighteen hundreds. I have found relatives in Utah and they have passed their family trees to me.
William and Margaret's daughter Elizabeth married Edwin Samuel also from a mormon family.On the mormon family search every name I typed in was being researched by Donny's parents.
Donny Osmonds ancestors are from the same areas as my family ie Loughor, Merthyr, Llanfallteg, etc.
Is there any connection to your martin's.
Gaynor
Merthyr Tydfil

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
Gaynor

Wooohooo! YES YES your with my lot!!!!!!! Oh my very first newly founded family member
Edward Martin and Mary are Margarets parents and I have all the details of the family, including the one who went to Utah and a lovely story it is to.
If you want to PM me with your email address we can correspond through there

Shanko
 ;D

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 April 05 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanko
I have no real proof of Margaret's father being Edward. Her marriage in Vaynor ,no fathers name on register, also her birth record as I told you was destroyed in a flood in Vaynor church. I did become a bit like Sherlock holmes in tracking her family. I found quite a few similarities between Edwards son Thomas and Margaret ie Addresses, he was a witness at her wedding among others. Also the big Mormon connection. I have quite a bit of info sent to me by Thomas's family in Utah. Lots of the info fits in with my search so the evidence is strong.
My email address is Justgayn@aol.com
It would be lovely we had a connection, I haven't found any other apart from USA

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 April 05 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, Shanko and Gayn,
You're obviously having great fun, and it looks as though there is indeed a possible link between your research!  Can I just say that I have a MARTIN family from the Bridgend area of Glamorgan - not a million miles away from Merthyr - and I have them dated back to the 18th C. in this county.  The pivotal generation was the one produced between 1809 and 1832 by Isaac Martin, b.1779 Merthyr Mawr, and Catherine Hopkin(s) b.1786, Pyle.  There were at least 13 children, including 6 male Martins, and they migrated all over the place thereafter...
Keith

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 April 05 14:38 BST (UK) »
Keith

There is a connection between my MARTIN's and Gayns MARTIN's.
I did actually contact you previously about the MARTIN family but you said there was no connection as mine were from Vaynor, Brecon

Shanko
 ;D