Author Topic: Brunswick House School  (Read 4058 times)

Offline martianuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Brunswick House School
« on: Friday 25 March 05 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I have a school on a rele's census for 1871 in New Windsor: Brunswick House, Kings Road. Can't find any web pages with info on it. Was it a boarding school, a private school/expensive way of schooling? Thank you :)
Williams, Margot, Beebe, Van Toll, Hunt, James, Pengelly, Haskett, Triggs

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brunswick House School
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 05 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi martian1,

It was a private school run (in the late 1870s - 1880s) by William Baxter.  It was a boarding and Army School for boys.  King's Road is situated just outside Windsor Great Park, overlooking the Long Walk.  Definitely a nice area of Windsor.  The number of pupils there in the 1880s was small - less than a dozen.  I suppose they may have taken day pupils as well.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martianuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 March 05 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating - thank you very much! My family member was there as a 14 year old in 1871, so it must have been operating in the early 1870's too. I wonder if the Army was the family's intention for a career for him - but he ended up being a tobacconist and corn dealer!

How did you learn of the school's history?

:)Kirsty
Williams, Margot, Beebe, Van Toll, Hunt, James, Pengelly, Haskett, Triggs

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 05 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I only live about five miles from Windsor, so I know it reasonably well.  As to the history, I looked up the name Brunswick House on the Historical Directories site (http://www.historicaldirectories.org) and found out the name of the principal.  I also checked the 1881 census by address search for more information.  ;D

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk