Author Topic: Lewis family of Mold  (Read 4451 times)

Offline cherylg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lewis family of Mold
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help please?

I am trying to trace any details regarding my grandmother x 4 Ruth Spencer nee Lewis.

On the 1841 Census she is living in Mold already married to my Grandfather x4 John Spencer.

She was born in Mold c 1791 she was the daughter of Edward Lewis who was a Brickmaker also born in Mold.I have this info from her Marriage certificate.

I have found an Edward Lewis living near to Ruth and John on the 1841 Census, his wife's name is Catherine and I am sure this is him.

But I am struggling find out anything else e.g her siblings or her mothers maiden name can anybody help please?

Rgds
Cheryl

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis family of Mold
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

I've checked the Clwyd FHS PR transcript for Mold.  Ruth Lewis is not listed (added - under baptisms to 1812)

Can you please post the reference for the 1841 census?

thanks
Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can you post the 1841 reference number please as I cannot find a John & Ruth Spencer  

She was born in Mold c 1791

I notice they only married in 1840 (Nantwich Cheshire) when Ruth would have been almost 50yrs old if b 1791 - is that correct
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
The only John & Ruth Spencer in 1841 were living in Henllan Denbighshire and both were only aged 20 and shown as not b in county

HO107 Piece 1402/5 Folio 6 Page 4

The Edward & Catherine Lewis also living in Henllan could well be the right ones as Edward is shown as a brickmaker which fits the 1840 marriage cert.  Given that they are also living next door to John & Ruth in 1841 I think it probably clinches it

HO107 Piece 1402/5 Folio 6 Page 4
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lazylover

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Being driven slowly mad & blaming my ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

With regards to the query you posted on the "Lookup Offers" I could not find any children born to an Edward and Catherine, although the books I have only go as far back as 1813.

Anyways there are quite a few LEWIS families in Mold at this time and between 1813 and 1820 there are 17 different families who baptise their children at St. Marys

There was only one RUTH LEWIS mentioned but she was the daughter of John and Mary LEWIS of Ewloe Wood, Hawarden; Occupation Potter-man. She was baptised on the 29 April 1814.

Please let me know if you would like me to list the rest of the baptisms.

LazyLover
RICE PRICE PARRY originally OWEN - Isle of Man, Holywell, Bradford & dissapeared!

Davies, Mold
Poulston, Denbighshire
Wright, Mold & Hawarden
Roberts, Flintshire
Darlington, Cheshire, Flintshire
Parry, Flintshire
Ellis, Buckley & Chester

I also run the STEERS One Name Study and am registered with the Guild of One Name Studies

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:59 BST (UK) »
Is this the correct 1851 entry?

1851 for Burland Cheshire - children all b Burland

John Spencer 30 b Wrenbury Cheshire
Ruth   29 b Buckley Wales
Edwin   9
Ann  6
Catherine   3
Caleb  8 Months
HO107 Piece 2169 Folio 482 Page 19

Offline Lazylover

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Is this the correct 1851 entry?

1851 for Burland Cheshire - children all b Burland

Ruth   29 b Buckley Wales

HO107 Piece 2169 Folio 482 Page 19

If this is the correct entry then it would put Ruth's birth around 1822, I've just checked the Mold PRs between 1821 and 1826 and there are no Ruth Lewis' baptised at St. Marys.

RICE PRICE PARRY originally OWEN - Isle of Man, Holywell, Bradford & dissapeared!

Davies, Mold
Poulston, Denbighshire
Wright, Mold & Hawarden
Roberts, Flintshire
Parry, Flintshire
Ellis, Buckley & Chester

I also run the STEERS One Name Study and am registered with the Guild of One Name Studies

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Cheryl

I think you have confused the birthyears for Edward & Catherine Lewis who are both shown as aged 50 on the 1841 census so b 1791

Ruth was born around 1822

Offline Lazylover

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
Cheryl

I think you have confused the birthyears for Edward & Catherine Lewis who are both shown as aged 50 on the 1841 census so b 1791

Ruth was born around 1822

So if the 1851 Census is correct and Ruth was born in Buckley, Flintshire she may have been baptised at Hawarden's St. Deniols, Pentrobin or at one of the many non-conformist Churches in the area.

Buckley is basically made up of Bistree and Argoed. It is surround by Ewloe, Ewloe Green and Myndd Isa. More can be found about Buckley here: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Buckley/

I grew up in Mold and the many faces of Buckley still confuse me when i'm looking for my lot!!

Davies, Mold
Poulston, Denbighshire
Wright, Mold & Hawarden
Roberts, Flintshire
Parry, Flintshire
Ellis, Buckley & Chester