Author Topic: Lewis family of Mold  (Read 4437 times)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis family of Mold
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 23:22 BST (UK) »
Have checked the marriages up to 1812 for an Edward LEWIS and Catherine at Mold but no luck.  I'll post if I find an Edward c1791.    
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Cheryl, could you please post the full details of  John & Ruth's marriage cert

Paul.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Strangely - The 1861 has a similar spelling for her birthplace as the 1851 which I read as a mistranscription of Buckley.

The spelling on the 1851 is BURKLEY and on the 1861 it's either BULEKELY or BULEKEBY
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 23:44 BST (UK) »
A likely prospect

Oct 6, 1788 Edwd LEWIS s/o David & Anne - abode is listed as "B"  as in Buckley??
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cherylg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Thankyou so much for the responses I really appreciate it.

I had been searching for about 3 hrs last night when i wrote the request ,I realize now that I'd got confused with some of the dates sorry!!!!

Here are the details:

Marriage:

Ruth Lewis married John Spencer in 1840 at St Margarets Church Wrenbury Cheshire

Ruth's father was Edward Lewis Brickmaker.
John father was George Spencer Labourer.

1841 Census:
Adddress: Slag Main?
Parish of Henllan

Edward Lewis 50 Brickmaker
Catherine 50                        Neither born in the County

Next door at the Lodge
are:

John Spencer aged 20 Labourer
Ruth Spencer aged 20

1851: Census
Address: 1 Llanerch Brickworks

Edward Lewis aged 62 Brickmaker born Mold
Catherine Lewis aged 70 born Mold

I am trying to find about who Edwards Wife is also if Ruth had any siblings.

I don't know this area at all if anybody can point me in the right direction I would be really grateful.

Rgds
Cheryl

Offline belindalewis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 September 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm currently researching the Lewis family and i came across your messages on Roots .com. I think that Edward and Catherine Lewis are the ones which belong to the line which i am investigating. You were looking for siblings of a Ruth Lewis. It is possible if all is correct that Isaac Lewis, my 3x great grandfather is the brother of Ruth. I'm basing this on the fact that i have Isaacs' marriage certificate and it names his father as Edward, living in Llanerch and a brickmaker. Brick making seems to run in the family for a while, as his son, Isaac is a brick maker too.Edward and Catherine seem the only likely couple to be there parents at this moment in time. I noted that you wrote your messages in April, so you may have more information by now. In the next couple of weeks i am hoping to go to the Archives near Chester to come up with more information.

Offline cherylg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 September 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes I am still researching Ruth Lewis.

But struggling I have Ruth's marriage certificate which states her father is Edward Lewis Brickmaker.

Going by the 1841 Census I am sure that John and Ruth Spencer (nee Lewis) are living next door to who I am sure are her parents Edward and Catherine Lewis, but there are no siblings.

Ruth was my Grandmother x 2 on my Grandfathers side.

Ruth and John moved to Cheshire which is where my Gt Grandfather Edwin Spencer was born,Ruth died in 1878 and as buried in Acton Nantwich Cheshire Cementery.

We have Ruth's funeral card which is framed and it contains a picture of Ruth on the front of it.
It also has a beautiful poem that is dedicated to her on under her picture.

I don't know quite where to go now as I do not know the Area in which she was born so any help you could give me would be gratefully received.

I suppose we are cousins but haven't quite worked out how many times removed yet!!!

Would love to hear from you again as you probably have a lot of info regarding the Lewis side of the family.

Rgds
Cheryl

Offline belindalewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 September 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Haven't got much to add to your info but when i've been to the archives in the next few weeks i may might have more to tell you.  Watch this space!!!!

Offline belindalewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 September 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I went to the archives at Hawarden, Wales. It wasn't very successful. I was looking for Edward and Catherine. Couldn't find any marriage or baptisms for their children. I was looking around the Mold area as i presume thats where they were most likely to have got married as they said they were born in that aea. I also looked for Isaacs baptism but again, no luck. There maybe a couple more microfilms left to look at so i may take another trip in the near future, but it's not looking good. I did find two baptisms of children which i didn't know about born to Isaac and Mary so it wasn't a total waste. I may also have to visit the archives a Ruthin as that covers the Denbighshire area which overlapped with Flint in the early years. So all in all nothing to report to you that is of any use. If anything does turn up i'll let you know.

Bye for now.