Author Topic: Hanly in Sligo  (Read 8540 times)

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hanly in Sligo
« on: Saturday 01 May 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
My 3xgr grandfather was a Michael Hanly.  According to the 1861 London census he was born Sligo Ireland 1796.  His death in April 1862 bears this out give or take a year ie 1795.  He married Martha Hamilton in Urney, Tyrone 1837 - his marriage both on the anouncement and on the record gives his address as Dublin.  The marriage entry also records him as a widower.  However, there is no entry for his parents and both witnesses are clearly relatives of the bride - father and brother.  I have a feeling his father was probably John Hanly but this is based on the fact his only son was called Charles John Hanly - ie Charles after maternal grandfather and John possibly after paternal grandfather.

He was obviously reasonably well educated as record of his occupations are variously - parliamentary reporter, shorthand writer, solicitor's clerk.   I have a feeling I may have reached the end of the road as far as this line is concerned but thought maybe there is areas in Sligo where the name Hanly is particularly common.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

regards Sarenid

Offline jakeabf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hanly in Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 February 11 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarenid,
I am a Hanley form Sligo. Carrowmacbryan to be specific. You actually nede to hone in on yer parameters so that you can´see if any extant members of the family in Dublin had members who showed up on the 1901 +1911 census.

The names, John + Michael Hanley are very common for that time period in Easkey, Check there and see when the maternal side enters the picture. If you se a Hamilton connection in the Easkey area that will zero in your search area. If this particular branch of Hanley ended up in Tyrone, after leaving Co Roscommon, the county just south of Sligo, you would need a Roscommon reference a bit further back to show a move to Sligo, or a move to Tyrone.

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for you reply.  Since posting I have found out some more pieces to my Hanly jigsaw although I admit I am not sure how they fit.

I found a family of Hanly in Lambeth close to Michael and Martha Hanly - This would not be significant but for the fact that John Hanly is a Parliamentary Reporter born Sligo Ireland abt 1811 and also has a daughter called Naomi.  I think they were possibly Roman Catholics who converted to C of E as all their children including their adult daughter were baptised together at St Mary's Lambeth 8 May 1850.  Unfortunately despite following each of the family through the censuses I have not been able to see any other links between Michael Hanly and John Hanly. 

The other link is with a family called Cahill.  In 1861 an Ellen Cahill is staying/visiting Michael Hanly and his family - Tracing back to 1851 it seems she is the daughter of Lawrence Cahill and Ellen Hanly -  Lawrence was a silk Jappanner living in Camberwell.  I again traced this family through to see what further links I could find.  Lawrence Cahill was born in Doneraile, Cork, unfortunately Ellen Cahill is only present on the 1851 census as she died somtime between 1851-1861 and all that is given as her birth  in 1851 is abt 1820 ireland.  There is one other link between the Cahill's and my Hanlys which is that one of Michael Hanly's daughter's married James Charles Fisher who lived next door to the Cahills in Camberwell in 1851 and whose father possbily worked for lawrence Cahill as he was a Silk Warehouseman.

It would seem likely that the Cahills were Roman Catholic as there are no baptisms that I can find for the children and later some of the grandchildren appear to have been educated at convent schools.

The Hamilton connection is clearly based on Donegal and Tyrone as I have fairly detailed sources for both of Martha's side, particularly her mother's family.  Quite how they met is therefore somewhat of a mystery - her father was a doctor from Ramelton, Donegal and her mother was a Cary from Innisowen.

I shall try the 1901 and 1911 census re the hanly and cahills and see if anything comes up.  Many thanks again for your reply.

regards Sarenid

Offline jakeabf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanx Sarenid for the timely reply. There is a lady named Felicia who I replied to on another thread who was looking for a Ellen Hanley from Carrowmacbryan at the same time frame you mentioned a lady by same name in your line. Here is my query for you.

Is the Hanley you mention maternal or paternal? My great Uncle Joe, who was a younger brother to my dads dad had 2 sons living in UK in the 1960s. Joe told me many Carrowmacbryan families sent their excess kids with zero job prospects to work in the mills in England starting in the 1700s.

Many of them had a rudimentary education up to age 13 and could read + write. Several came back and were able to buy small allotments in Carrowmacbryan when they became available to buy from absentee owners. There were many who opted to go to Canada, Oz or U.S even before the famine period, 'cuz the name Hanley was found in all the U.S states and territories.

My grandad said he had cousins already in the U.S in Philadelphia, Boston, NY prior to his goin' over in the 1890s. In our particular branch of Hanley's the family was situated in Carrowmacbryan for over 400 years. There were tributary branches of our family in or near Sligo town. A sure sign was to find the name Dudley amongst them.

My Grandpa said there was always a Dudley amongst our extended branch many centuries back, but in its original Gaelic form, before it got anglicized to Dudley.  If you go to the history of the O'hAinlie that my cousin Betty did the research for in the 1950's, ye'll see the family name go back to Brian Boru and earlier.

To find my bro Dud's web page called Hanley's #1, you have to search for it in Hanleys in Sligo, via google.  This obviously doesn't include all the myriad of cousins prior to when he started his page. Its clear to me all the Hanley's of Sligo are varying degrees of distant cousins to each other.

In your example going back 4 generations would make us 6th or 7th cousins removed at the closest. A lot depends on which of the Sligo Hanleys intermarried back into succeeding generations  of the UK Hanleys as a 2nd or 3rd cousin to keep the cousinship in a narrow range. There is a lot of family crossovers as I poínted out to Felicia.

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jake

Michael Hanly abt b.1795 Sligo was my 3x grandfather through my maternal line.  His eldest daughter Mary Ann Hanly married Thomas Carey Blyton in Camberwell 1864.  Mary Ann Hanly was my mother's gr grandmother.

Details I have on Michael Hanly are basic.  Marriage as a widower from Dublin in Urney December 1837.   His eldest daughter's birthplace is given on the 1861 census as Ballyfatton, Co. Tyrone - which was her grandfather's address.  However, his second daughter Sarah Jane Hanly was baptised in Dublin September 1841 where he was living at 9 Summer Hill - his occupation was assistant secretary to the London Hibornia Society.  His next two children were also baptised in Dublin - all three Church of Ireland - address was Irishtown Dublin.   His last child Naomi Hanly was born Walcot Square Lambeth 1846 and baptised St Mary's Lambeth 1846 - his occupation was down as Parliamentary Reporter.  He is not with the family who are in Woodford in 1851 - presumably away and I have not as yet found him on any census but appears as a widower in 1861 in New Dunston Street, Shoreditch - an address he was certainly at by 1857 as it is given on Martha Hanly nee Hamilton's death certificate.  His occupation on Martha Hanly's death certificate was Private Secretary, in 1861 was Solicitor's clerk and on his own death certificate in 1862 Short hand writer.

I have made no progress with his first marriage although I did find in the Dublin parish records for a burial of an Ellen Hanly died 1829 in childbirth age 22 - she was living in Thomas Street and the record is from St Catherine CofI. 

Within the Cahill family in 1851 census is a Priscilla Hanly - b.1830 Ireland sister in law.  I have tried to trace her beyond the 1851 census but had no luck.  I do not know whether the name Priscilla has come up at all within your Hanly family in Sligo - it seemed a fairly distinctive christian name to me for the time?

The John Hanly family appear to have come from Ireland via Manchester. The eldest two daughters in 1851 were born in Dublin abt 1838 & 1840 the third and fourth children Naomi & Joseph were born Manchester - found an index ref. Dec 1843 for a Joseph Hanly but no ref for Naomi however, and then the 5th and subsequent children were born Lambeth - Sophia Louisa Hanly was registered Mar 1846.

Had a look at the web site of Hanleys in Sligo but couldn't see any obvious connections.  Unfortunately I seem to be the first in the family to have gone back on this side of the family beyond my 2 x gr grandparents ie around 1850 so there is no one with word of mouth information which can be so useful!

I think the above is about all the info I have on relevant Hanly's.  Thanks again for your help.

regards Sarenid

Offline jakeabf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarenid,

I have a bro Frank up in the Manchester area, I asked him if he was curious as to how many of the Hanley's stretching from Liverpool over to Leeds are related to us, simply 'cuz the name comes from Ireland.

Its a shame the dna testing that Brian Sykes of Oxford U is a bit costly. He wrote a book the 7 Daughters of Eve that was the ice breaker when it comes to modern dna research in families.

Its really sad actually that women get lost in the shuffle so easily. Several women in our tree lost husbands to war, illness and re-marry and take on a new family name. I can see why ya get frustrated when ya encounter a young gal of 22  who dies in childbirth. That is really tragic beyond what words can say.

I haven't met the families of my Uncle Joe in England when I was in London in  the 60's. These 2 bro's had kids, and by now, their kids have kids and the Hanley name keeps increasing in the UK.

That's why I said we are distantly related. I have a family name history of the O'hAinlie but it is too large to post here. Google that name and see if you find it.

If possible see if ya can find distant lineage in yer Hanley family back to Brian Boru. That will be where all the Hanley's  come together.

The Hanley clan at that time functioned as a palace guard to Kings of Connaugh, and those guys married into all of the clans Boru produced offspring in. That was how it was when it came to survival at the top.... strictly by tight inter-family confederation.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ellen Hanley; b.(abt) 1868 Sligo; d-1953  Chicago Cook
Buried; Mt. Olivet cem.

Spouse; Edward Flannery; married-1829 Cook
Edward b; 1859/69 Galway
Died; 1904 Cook

Parents; Patrick M Hanley-Mary J Mc Neil.
Patrick; b.15/5/1845 Ballyowmore- Ireland
Died; 1/9/1908 Sheffield Franklin la
Buried; Rockwell Cerro Gordo la Sacred Heart cem.

Mary J;
B. 12/5/1846 Ballymore Galway
d. 25/1/1929 Ingham Twp Franklin
Buried; Rockwell Cerro

Parents; Patrick Hanley- A B Cunningham
----------------
Jack

Offline jakeabf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Jack, this link has been around a while. Its based on original research done by my Dublin librarian cousin in the 1950's . This particular history ends in the 1700s. I suspect  due to the fact the person who uploaded it discovered the original research led directly to our Hanley branch in Carrowmacbryan.

Beyond 1700 many Hanley branches can insert themself in, as was obviously done here. The hard part is do what my researcher cousin did and trace a single father son lineage all the way back to Brian Boru, which she did.

Way back when the Hanleys, actually O'hAinlie's were  the equivalent of a palace guard to Kings of Connaugh and to the O'Connor sept.  At that time, to consolidate power Brian Boru inserted his genes into every Irish clan he could. Many Irish names go straight back to Boru due to his profligacy. In a manner of speaking, he made nearly all the Irish who originated in Ireland distant cousins to each other.

A notable exception are rather recent newcomers to Ireland. All names with Fitz in them come from French-Norman invasions of the 1200s, which is way after Boru's time. A lot of these Norman originated names, like Guiness are now considered Irish, but not to folk who research their roots to and  beyond Boru. The poets Yeats is a very recent immigrant to Ireland, he was a 2nd generation born in Ireland.

IMHO, The wanna- be Irish are occupiers who never bothered to go home, and IMHO have sullied the noble heritage of those Irish families that pre-date Brian Boru.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ehandley/hanly.htm

Offline Teodoro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 February 12 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Good Day,

My 3 x great grandfather was John Hanly (b. Sligo about 1811), the parliamentary reporter you refer to in your posting. His daughter, Jane H. Hanly (born about 1835 in Dublin) married John Davison 28 Jan 1856. Their daughter, Gertrude Davison was my great grandmother.

The sons of John Hanly all seem to have been journalists or connected with publishing.  I found references to John’s sons,  John Laffan Hanly (b. 1836) and Baron Henry Hanly (b. 1848) being in Turkey, including GRO "Overseas" entries of their deaths in Constantinople, Turkey. 

Son John Laffan Hanly was the editor of the “Journal Stamboul”.  Son Joseph Hanly was a publisher, I think of the Essex Telegraph; his family are in the 1871 census – Colchester, Essex. 

Happy to share further information.

Kind regards
Teodoro