Author Topic: Early postal systems  (Read 737 times)

Offline johncrowner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Early postal systems
« on: Monday 03 May 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
When researching family members, I often get side-tracked by their occupation. I have just found a John Brooker, living in Framfield,occupation:cordwainer and post master:this is rural sussex in 1851.The 1867 Directory entry shows letters arrive from Hurst Green at 4.30.a.m. and last letters despatched 9.15p.m.Post box closes at 8.30.pm, but letters may be posted up to 9.p.m. with an extra stamp! How did they do it? Hurst Green must be 15-18 miles from Framfield, and was probably the stop for the London train, although Uckfield had a connection to Tunbridge Wells. Who would, and how did, mail get moved that early in the morning, on the rough lanes of Sussex in the middle of the 19th cent. Presumably the post office in Framfield was not too busy, hence cordwainer. Johns son George followed him into both occupations!
Crowhurst:Brooker:Brinkhurst:Turner

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Early postal systems
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
Though I have no direct knowledge of this area it should be remembered that 1) Train services ran through the night in most if not all rail connected areas.
2) There were no telephones at this time hence the need for the high number of clearances and also deliveries.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline johncrowner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 07:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Redroger. I was rather trying to imagine  the journey from the station to the village. Presumably a rider on either a horse, or pony and trap. Also I would think that this person would have delivered to other villages en route. It would be really interesting to find out more about these people, doing this rather risky job-Did they do 'a round' and return to base, or did they stay somewhere during the day, and do collections on the way 'home', or did their delivery route take all day. etc. a facinating subject- well I think so anyway!!
Crowhurst:Brooker:Brinkhurst:Turner

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 08:28 BST (UK) »
Have a look at http://postalheritage.org.uk/   
They have details of early postmasters but their research rates are expensive.
Andrea

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 09:49 BST (UK) »
My father was orphaned at the age of 2 and brought up by his mother's sister and her husband.He George William Stimpson was the village carrier for the village of Gorefield Cambs, which is now I believe absorbed in Wisbech. On my father's death I inherited a collection of postcards from the Edwardian period primarily addressed to my father as a small boy, but with several to Mr. Stimpson. From them it is evident that the village carrier had many functions in the village, including pig killer :( the collection and forwarding of parcels and I would expect that he undertook some work at least on behalf of the Post Office, including possibly the transport of mail between the Post Office at Gorefield and the railway at Wisbech. Hope this helps.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)