Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are - Eighth Series  (Read 21104 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are - Eighth Series
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
I've just read something in next week's Radio Times letter page.

It looks as if the BBC do NOT have the rights to the US version - apparently the digital channel Watch has the rights and will probably be showing the programmes in the autumn.

The new BBC series of WDYTYA is scheduled for this summer and includes Richard Madeley (as we knew) and Alexander Armstrong.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hope I don't miss any, I'm away 18 June to 9 July.

Offline Piltdown_man

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
Lol Alex Armstrong?  It's not this version is it?  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65QRaR16io

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
It looks as if the BBC do NOT have the rights to the US version - apparently the digital channel Watch has the rights and will probably be showing the programmes in the autumn.

What a swizz! I was looking forward to that. ???
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 May 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
I have read a review in one of the family history magazines of the US series, and the review said that although it was good, too much emphasis was put on Ancestry (who apparently sponsor this series) thus making it a very commercial programme.  And it was thought that although good, not as good as ours.  Moving at a much faster pace.  So again this would make newcommers think that researching is quick & simple.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 May 10 02:28 BST (UK) »
WDYTYA certainly has a following among family history enthusiasts   in Australia

Could not the producers do any ordinary person and so promote genealogy and family history to all ?
I think we would be greatly encouraged to see just how long and difficult the research is and the pure delight when we unearth a 2nd or 3rd cousin by sheer accident!

My past family, totally unremarkable, has uncovered fascinating stories
This must be true for many others

Looking forward to seeing the new series
Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 May 10 02:56 BST (UK) »
i think what people forget is that the producers make these progs to sell to tv channels. they need appeal to a large audience. shows about nobodies, while they might be good for the family history gang would not appeal to the vast majority of people. they are not here to promote genealogy but to make money.
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline Piltdown_man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 23 May 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
In the recent WDYTYA magazine there was an article on the US series; it said there was much more music and bits where they recapped things because of the ads, a lot of the music was removed for the UK version as were the recaps.

I am surprised that considering the growth of the family history interest that there isn't much on TV about it, its fine showing the ressults and how famous people get access to the experts in particular areas (ok I should say the programme makers get access) but for the regular (and irrregular) person in the street we need to move away from the more obvious sources (censuses, BMD indexes, parish records) as helpful as they are its the other sources that are the goldmines I think.

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 May 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Well at least we all have here  ;D
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery