Author Topic: Neilsland & Earnock in Hamilton  (Read 31706 times)

Offline gillalexrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Neilsland & Earnock in Hamilton
« on: Wednesday 05 May 10 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am researching the Neilsland & Earnock estates of Hamilton, Lanarkshire which were owned by the Watson family in the mid 1800 to the mid 1900.

In particular, anything on Sir John Watson 1819 -1989 would be of interest. John Watson was a colliery owner in Hamilton and a well known figure in the wider area.

Any info greatly appreciated
Alexander, McGuckien, Cusick, Campbell, Robertson, Rennie,Mcginness

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Neilsland & Earnock in Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

1819 -1989

Should this read 1889
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gillalexrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 23:57 BST (UK) »
oops! yes, thank you!

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 10 00:31 BST (UK) »

Obituary

John Watson
The Late Sir John Watson, Bart. Of Earnock. - A notable man in Sir John Watson, Bart of Earnock , passed away yesterday morning at the ripe age of 79. Up to the last he was hale and hearty. A few weeks ago he proceeded on a short holiday tour in the North, but the heat wave was too much for him. He was prostrated during the passage in the Caledonian Canal and at once returned home. Dr Crawford, his local medical adviser called in Dr Gemmell, who did not consider that there were any alarming symptoms, and on Sunday Dr Heron Watson, on being telegraphed for, on his arrival corroborated the views of the local and Glasgow doctor, and indicated the belief that a rest for ten days would put matters right. Notwithstanding, the patient never recovered his vitality, and he passed quietly away yesterday morning.

Sir John was the architect of his own fortunes. He was born in Kirkintilloch on the 9th of July 1819, and was therefore in the seventh-ninth year of his age. His father was a builder and contractor, but afterwards engaged in mining pursuits with considerable success, in which he was followed by his son. His lot was not altogether a successful one, but by indomitable perseverance he commanded success, and became one of the pioneers in the development of the Lanarkshire coalfields. In a limited sense the heyday of his career was when he was developing the coalfields of Wishaw and Dalziel under respectively Lord Belhaven and Mr Hamilton, now Lord Hamilton. His greatest success was when he acquired in the early seventies the estate of Neilsland, following up this triumph with the acquisition of that of Earnock. Up to that time there were doubts as to whether it would have been possible to have, at the great depths which were then little known in Scottish mining experience, to work the coal at a profit. With his wonted shrewdness Sir John, when he opened up the Earnock - which, it may be stated, is likely to go on tor 150 years at least - laid down the most advanced mechanical appliances. He was the first in Scotland and second in the United Kingdom to introduce electric light as an adjunct of mining. He was nothing if not thorough in all matters relating to his business concerns. He was popular, and deservedly so, in all his private relations. On acquiring the estates of Neilsland and Earnock, Sir John spared no money in the way of planting and improving the farms, the steadings of which were mostly rebuilt. He was twice married, his first wife being Miss Agnes Simpson, daughter of Mr. R. H. Simpson, coalmaster, Rutherglen, by whom he had two sons and eight daughters, all of whom are married. He is survived by his second wife, a daughter of Mr Peter M'Kenzie, editor of the “Reformers' Gazette.” He received the Baronetcy from Lord Roseberry in 1895. He is succeeded by his eldest son, Mr John Watson. [Scotsman 27 September 1898]

http://scottishmining.co.uk/386.html

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 10 06:08 BST (UK) »
There's a memorial John Watson of Earnock Fountain in Muir Street, Hamilton (on the Historic Scotland Listed Buldings Register), the architect of which was my great uncle, Gavin Paterson.  A photo of it is here:

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/towns/moretpix419.html

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline gillalexrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 May 10 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thank so much for your replys, really helpful

Rodeo, I was especially interested to learn of your connection to the John Watson Fountain in Cadzow Street,  I live in Hamilton and pass it often. I knew that the fountain was a memorial for John Watson but now my enjoyment of it will be enhanced knowing also who the architect was...no doubt the kids will groan it the back of the car every time we pass it & I tell them this-lol!

My interest in John Watson is that I am part of a small group in the area who have recently been trying to get the Nature Trail (or 'Naitchie' if you come from here-haha) usable again for the whole community. This was John Watsons land and the grounds of his Neilsland House. It has been used as a nature trail for many years since becoming council property. When I was little it was a beautiful space but like so many areas has been left to decline and vandals and fly tippers have taken over making it unsafe for families to use.

We are just a group of mums who havent done anything like this before, so I have turned to what I love doing (family history) in the hope that the history of the estate and the Watson family will spark some interest and schools and other groups might come on board and realise the benefits of preserving this place in a usable way for the whole area to enjoy...quickly- before they build houses on it!!! 

So although I have no direct link to John Watson (apart from my husband's Hamiltonian coal mining ancestors who would have known of Mr Watson first hand) I feel the link that the estate has to our Lanarkshire mining history is worth handing down.

Unfortunately I can't seem to post some photos I took this week including one of a statue of Sir John which once stood in the grounds but now lies broken and graffitied....says it all really.

Wish me luck!
Many thanks once again,

Gillian

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 May 10 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian

Actually, Gavin Paterson was also the architect of Neilsland House as you'll see here:

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200407

I was in Hamilton for some time last year (on a trip to Scotland from Australia) doing family history research and visited all the schools, churches, monuments, community buildings and villas my great uncle designed. Coincidentally, while there, we stayed in Auchingramont Road directly next door to the home in which Gavin Paterson's son, Lennox Dundas Paterson, lived and just near Watson Fountain. Lennox was a partner in father's architectural firm and carried on the practice until some years before his death in 1983. All my relatives hailed from Hamilton, so it had an extraordinary emotional resonance for me. It was absoluteley fantastic to be there.

I know the nature trail to which you refer adjoining Neilsland House and agree that it's of historical significance as well as of primary environmental/recreational value to the community.

What were the terms of John Watson's bequest relative to Neilsland Estate? It may well be they are being breached if those lands were designated as a public area and the Council hasn't maintained them for that purpose. Congratulations on your crusade. It's well worth pursuing.

All the best,

Rodeo

Offline gillalexrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 May 10 13:59 BST (UK) »
That is fascinating Rodeo!

I have a couple of grainy photographs of Neilsland house and by all accounts it was a beautiful place. I have a newspaper article about Neilsland House from 1947 which I would happily email to you if you are interested (although there is no mention of Mr Paterson unfortunately).

He was obviously a prominent figure in Hamilton in his time and how wonderful for you to be able to have his work still here to see and touch, that is some link to the past!

What a satisfying job to do knowing that you were leaving something wonderful behind, although I guess he would never have thought that his descendant would be conversing with a stranger half way around the world about him and his buildings in 2010!!!

Thank you so much for all your info Rodeo,
Let me know if I can help with any Hamilton Info,

Kind regards
Gillian

Offline Sir Simon Watson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 July 10 22:36 BST (UK) »
I am delighted that interest is being shown in Sir John Watson  1st Bt of Earnock. He was my great grand father and I am now the 6th Bt of Earnock. My own grand parents lived in Neiland and my father was born in the house. I would be more than happy to support any effort to preserve the public right to the glen at Neilsland. I visited it many times so knew it well. I have unlimited information about Sir John.  For example I can tell you how many horses or sheep he owned in 1894!
If you wish to look me up on Google put in "Sir Simon Watson Bt"  Don't forget to include the inverted commas as this limits the search. It is only one page.

I am happy to try and answer any question you may have. My email address is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php