Author Topic: Neilsland & Earnock in Hamilton  (Read 31608 times)

Offline redted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Neilsland & Earnock in Hamilton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 July 10 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian

I too enjoyed many a football match down the 'Naitchie',  and have more recently been through on a mountain bike, it has indeed, in my opinion, been neglected by the local authority to the point where it has been allowed to return to it's natural state..!!

I am afraid that I can't quite remember the house or any statue.

I guess the old railway line (which is now a footpath) was there to support the mining industry.

Anyway best of luck getting the council to take on the Nature trail, but I fear that in the current financial climate it may be well down the list, and your best bet may well be any conditions included in the bequeathment of the land.

If you have a knight of the realm on board that may help....  ;)

Alan Knightshift worker as opposed to Knight...!! 

ps I don't think the Watson fountain was a memorial, understood it was a gift to the people of Hamilton by Sir John Watson

see
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-34512-cadzow-street-muir-street-watson-fountain
Scullion, Scollon, Scollin(County Leitrim)
Bittle(s) Ireland ,Ayrshire
Crawford
Mackie

McCluskey, Johnson(wexford),Anderson(Glw), Dougan

Offline gillalexrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 July 10 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi redted

If you are still in the area, then get down & pitch in next Saturday!

We have organised a Community Clean Up day which we hope will have a fantastic turn out. Local shops have donated refreshments & staff to help, fire brigade & community police coming along as well as all the locals that we have been speaking to. All we need now is some good weather....August in Scotland- not guaranteed-LOL!!!

I been in touch with Wilma Bolton, a local author & historian (Black Faces & Tackety Boots / Pit props & Ponies) who has been a fantastic help with giving me all she has on the Neilsland Estate. I have made up a wee board to display some of the fantastic old photos of the area including the Swiss Cottage & summerhouse which once stood on the land, amazing stuff!

Also, our pestering of the council seems to have paid off (to be fair they have been very helpful- as has everyone that we speak to about helping us). We have had talks with Countryside & Greenspace who are now consulting the community with a view to entering a bid for funding to regenerate the whole Nature Trail- Neilsland & Earnock. We are delighted with this news. I think that we have got things going just at the right time but it does go to show what a small group can achieve if they are detemined enough!

So if you are local and you are intersted inhaving a say then come along next week and speak to the Rangers who will have a marquee set up!

Let me know if you want to see the photos & Ill send them onto you.
Gillian
Alexander, McGuckien, Cusick, Campbell, Robertson, Rennie,Mcginness

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 July 10 17:04 BST (UK) »
Where exactly will the marquee be set up?

Offline gillalexrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 July 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
Highstonehall Road.

If you park at Neilsland/ St Peter's primary scool you will see us there at the top of the hill on the football pitch. We are meeting with the Rangers & Land Services at the start of next week to finalise the plans, but we will defo be starting from there.

Hope you can come....and spread the word!!! ;)

Offline gillalexrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 July 10 17:17 BST (UK) »
OOOOPS!
Sorry forgot to say Sat 7th August 2010 10am- 2pm!

Offline redted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 July 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
Wow my pessimistic thoughts seem to have been misplaced !! :-X

Well done.

I know Wilma, and have both her books..!!

I am afraid I can't be there on Saturday as I am working but best of luck.

Maybe some pictures could be uploaded.
Scullion, Scollon, Scollin(County Leitrim)
Bittle(s) Ireland ,Ayrshire
Crawford
Mackie

McCluskey, Johnson(wexford),Anderson(Glw), Dougan

Offline gillalexrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 July 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
Ill try...although I couldn't upload before...

You have probably seen these if you know Wilma's books.

Neilsland House was on the open area at the top of the Nature Trail. The terraces, which are still there to an extent, were at the front of the house. Sir Simon Watson Bt has advised that there was once a beautiful fountain at the bottom with a pump room below. As children we used to play at 'dares' running through an underground tunnel, so I am guessing now that this was part of the pump room???

The other photo is the gate lodge. I love this photo, mainly because those pillars I remember well...very little of the pillars remain.

Offline t444rcy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian

Ive just came across your post, i live in the houses just next to the nature trail and i have been desperate to find out information on the old watson place i love the history that hamilton holds especially in our local area! my dad has fond memories of playing there when he was a boy, and us in the summer months taking walks through to where i would imagine the house once stood. Are you still pursuing the council to tidy the place up ?? do you have pics ??

Tracy

Offline t444rcy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian

got your pm, unfortunately i cant send a reply back to you until i've posted three times. It's so exciting that people are so interested in the old neilsland estate, it would be amazing to hear from you, can't wait!!

Tracy