Author Topic: GRO actual certificate costs  (Read 6884 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
GRO actual certificate costs
« on: Thursday 06 May 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
Anybody see this from the Lost Cousins newsletter? Is there anything to it?

GRO reveals costs - at long last

After 8 weeks - twice the statutory limit - the Circumlocution Office, sorry, General Register Office eventually responded to my Freedom of Information request and provided a summary of the costs relating to their certificate service.

If the figures supplied to me are the only ones upon which the pricing decision was taken, then I am shocked - they don't appear to have considered the possibility that a lower price for certificates might produce a greater income. Buying the special paper and printing the certificates costs just 16p per certificate; posting a certificate costs just 23p on average. The rest is accounted for by staff costs, IT, property costs, depreciation, bank charges, and 'support services'.

Can you imagine a commercial organisation remaining in business for very long if all they did to set their prices was add up their costs then divide the total by the number of units they expected to sell? You don't need to have worked as an accountant (as I have) to know that many costs are fixed, and that as more units are sold the average cost of each comes down. And you certainly don't need to have studied economics (as I have) to know that when you cut the price the demand generally goes up - which means that reducing the price of certificates to £5 might well have produced a greater surplus for the taxpayer than raising it to £9.25.

Whoever wins the forthcoming General Election I sincerely hope they'll get the GRO working on a more commercial footing - if companies like findmypast and Ancestry were as inefficient they'd be charging us £1000 a year for their services!
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: GRO actual certificate costs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 10 17:01 BST (UK) »

Whoever wins the forthcoming General Election I sincerely hope they'll get the GRO working on a more commercial footing - if companies like findmypast and Ancestry were as inefficient they'd be charging us £1000 a year for their services!

Oh China- I hope you haven't given them ideas here  ;D ;D ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
Ancestry charge  £22.99 for certificates  :o

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 10 17:49 BST (UK) »
Tsk, the cost of labour these days...mind you they have to pay the GRO, don't they :P ;D
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 10 18:00 BST (UK) »
I certainly agree with you that selling more cheaper brings in more income than the reverse ...

... its obvious to us in our village that that is the case ... (nothing to do with FH) ... but every year we have a spring 'bring and buy' plant sale in aid of church funds.   Previous years, we have set prices at what we considered might be comparable, less a bit, to a local garden centre.  This year we decided to sell all shrubs at £1, herbaceous and things like snowdrops and cowslips at 50p.    Result ... we doubled our takings on previous years !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 May 10 10:13 BST (UK) »
Are you going to let the GRO know that, Lydart??  :o 8)

I thought Peter Calver made a very good point in the Lost Cousins newsletter - as he often does.  (It's a very good newsletter and if you don't get it now, I urge you to think about it!)  I certainly don't think that hiking prices will help any provider in the long run, including the GRO.  My State, Queensland, is doing that also - I'm sure the number of certificates ordered is going down!

From the news that has just come through here in Oz, I think it will be a while before there IS a government in Britain, and when there is one, they will have far more pressing problems than certificate prices - sadly!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 May 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
awww  Economics ........ china .....

finally, the details of your intimate relationship with James McGill .......   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(wrong thread I know, but I can't remember what the other one was called)  :P :P :-*

dollylee

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 May 10 15:32 BST (UK) »
I spent five years in James McGill's lap, dolly....all the sordid details may be obtained from the Admissions department, the Bursar's office, and the Department of Anthropology..... ;D ;D ;D

Wouldn't that make a great book title? Not much substance to the story line, though :P ;D
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 May 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
Ancestry charge  £22.99 for certificates  :o

Stan

Before the Gro increase Ancestry prices were £19-99 :o so £3 increase on their 125% ish profit
we certainly know where to look for Dick Turpins descendants ::)