Author Topic: Quentin Walker, Grimsby area  (Read 10054 times)

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Quentin Walker, Grimsby area
« on: Saturday 08 May 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Quentin Lorimer Walker (my great grandfather) was the 4th child of Thomas Walker and Grace Laidlaw who were both born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland.  Death certificate lists Quentin's birthplace as Belleville, but I don't think that's correct.  Brothers before him list Fergus and Guelph as their birthplaces on their marriage certificates.  Siblings after give Smithville as birthplace.

He relocated to Victoria some time before the 1881 census.  Married Eliza Jane Bullen in 1881. Census records show him born anywhere from 1853 to 1857.

I'm trying to find out exactly when and where he was born.  He came from a big family (12 children) in the Grimsby area and inventor/manufacturer Hugh Walker was one of his brothers.  Most brothers were in the metal trade.  Father a cooper, brothers blacksmiths, carriage builders, wheelwrights, etc.
Lancashire, Yorkshire, India: Jepson, Rothwell, Wilcock,
Dumfries, Ontario, BC: Walker, Laidlaw, Lorimer
Devonshire: Bullen
Durham: Lomas, Hodge
Northumberland: Henderson
Berwickshire: Buglass, Renton

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quentin Walker, Grimsby area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=fs%3A1307826&p=collectionDetails

William Archibald Johnstone Walker (c. 1849) -death says Fergus
Robert L.Walker - ( c.1851) death in 1921 says Guelph
Grace Laidlaw Walker ( Mar 29, c. 1856) death 1928says S Grimsby
Hugh David Walker (Sept. 1 ,1867 )- death in 1932 says Smithville
John Henry Walker was born  Apr.  28 1870- Lincoln, Ontario,
Jessie Ellen Walker b. Sept. 25 1872, Grimsby, Lincoln, Ont  - Her death in 1909 says Smithville
Norman Walker was born  Aug.  19, 1874 - Grimsby, Lincoln, Ont.

publicationThe Story of Smithville- hilights "the Walkers" and mentions thirteen children, but has wrong year of immigration and is missing rest of story ...
http://books.google.ca/books?id=MmdYyMJVSFUC&pg=PA67&lpg=PA67&dq=Thomas+Walker+and+Grace+Laidlaw
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ah, here is a finished ocr with errors but doesn't help a lot...
http://www.archive.org/stream/storysmithville00pageuoft/storysmithville00pageuoft_djvu.txt
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help, JJ.  I saw that story of the Walkers in Smithville a while ago, but it's nice to remind me where it is - forgot to bookmark it when I saw it first!  On the Walker children I have a fair bit of information.

Mary - born 1846, Scotland
William Archibald (carriage maker) born 1848 Fergus (according to marriage record), died 1919 Wentworth
Robert Laidlaw (blacksmith) born 1850 Guelph (according to marriage record) died 1921 Smithville
Quentin Lorimer (wheelwright, carriage maker) best guess born 1853 Ontario, died 1914, Nanaimo, BC
Grace Lorimer (dressmaker) born c. 1857 Ontario, died 1928 Smithville
Henrietta Jamieson (dressmaker) born c. 1959 Ontario, died ?
Thomas (engineer) born c. 1861, Ontario, died ?
Isabella (dressmaker, nurse) born 1863, Ontario, died ?
Hugh David (tinsmith, manufacturer) born 1867 Smithville, died 1932
John Henry (blacksmith) born c. 1870 Grimsby, died ?
Nellie G. (music teacher) born c. 1873 Ontario, died ?
Norman M. (tinsmith) born c. 1875 Ontario died ?

I can trace the Walker and Laidlaw/Lorimer families back into the 1700's in Scotland but can't find birth records in Canada!

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 00:26 BST (UK) »
JJ

A huge thank you because your post has given me the 13th child - Jessie Ellen.  Don't know how I missed her!  Thanks again.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 02:19 BST (UK) »
The last three I gave you were the actual birth information ( Jesse was also on IGI) she died as Snyder so make sure she isn't your Nellie...
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=fs%3A1520604&p=collectionDetails

I started writing birth dates for the others from the death info, but looking at the 1901 makes more sense as spouses may have given wrong information...
Yes, birth registration didn't begin until 1869 in Ontario...so Parish records will be all that you can find

They surely moved about from census info, Seneca, Haldimand in 1861, Grimsby 1871/1881...Wentworth 1891
didn't see them in Lincoln 1851/52 census, aklthough the story has them settling there directly, but perhaps they mean went over to Smithville in 1854  ::)

You probably have it, but it isn't on your list that Norman's middle name is Norman McLeod WALKER at marriage
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/waterl97.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 04:34 BST (UK) »
You're right - it's entirely possible that Jessie and Nellie may be the same person.  The Smithville history book talks about 13 children and I've only found 12.  In any census after 1881 I've not found a Jessie and a Nellie so I guess I have to reconcile myself to the likelihood that they are Jessie. 

Thank you, though, for directing me to that area of familysearch.org - I've not seen it before.  However, try as I might, I couldn't find the death record you mentioned.  I found a lot of the records I first located on Scotland's People so I can see that it's a good place to start before you pay out money to get verification.

Do you have suggestions on how to access parish records?  You are obviously very experienced and I would appreciate your advice!

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As Grimsby & Smithville are about midway between St. Catharines & Hamilton you could check those areas as well as Niagara Falls for the Walker deaths.

I did find John Henry Walker's marriage on this link

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/linc98.htm

There are 2 John Henry Walker's buried at Niagara Falls. Your man's family?

http://www.niagarafalls.ca/city_hall/departments/parks_recreation_and_culture/cemetery/genealogy/index.asp

Good hunting

J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 14:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's "my" John Henry Walker in the marriage link.  For the burial, I'm not sure.  I don't have a death date for him but the 1946 could be him and the later one his son.    Have to dig some more!  Thanks for the help.

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile