Author Topic: Thomas George Oastler 1875  (Read 805 times)

Offline esteele

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas George Oastler 1875
« on: Monday 10 May 10 11:05 BST (UK) »
How can I get a birth certificate for this man when I cant find a GRO reference for him.   He first appears on 1881 census  with grandparents Jeremiah and Sarah called "George".   In the family bible it says that he was 'adopted' (? whether officially) by his grandparents and his date of birth is 9 December 1875.   On his marriage cert to Eda Taylor in September 1905  he is named as Thomas George Lovett Oastler and his father is given as the late Thomas Lovett Oastler, Coachman.  As he is the grandson of Jeremiah he must be the child of either George 1855 or his sister Hannah.
He was apparently baptised on 29 Oct 1876 as Thomas George Lovitt, Brundish.

He had joined the London Metropolitan police force when he married in 1905

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas George Oastler 1875
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 May 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
The questions are, Where was he born? and what name was he registered with?. If he was born 9 Dec. 1875 then he should have been registered in either the Dec. Quarter 1875 or possibly the Mar.Q.1876.
Was he a son of George? George married Lucy in the Dec. Q 1875, they lived near George's parents (and George Junior), so if he was George's (or Thomas George) father, surely George junior would have known and given his name at his wedding.
I think that he must be a son of Hannah. Hannah was living in London by 1871, she had plenty of opportunity to have a liason with a Thomas Lovett. So where did the birth take place, London or Suffolk and in what name was he registered?
If parents were not married it was usual to register the child in the mother's name. The only Oastler in that period was a Charles Oastler, St Olave, Dec.1875, 1d, 270, so that must be a possible, but why Charles?. There are a few Ostlers but nothing that stands out in London or Suffolk.
 I can see that his birth is given as Tannington in 1881 and you say he was baptised in Brundish. Both parishes are in the Hoxne district but there are no obvious registrations there. In fact there were no registration in Hoxne for a Thomas and only 9 Georges, none with a surname that sounds familiar. The only registration in Suffolk that I think could fit is of a George Lovett, Plomesgate, Dec.1875, 4a, 672. It is possible that Hannah returned to Suffolk for the birth but did not quite go home to avoid family embarrassment. If this is him then I would assume that Thomas Lovett came too and they posed as a married couple for the registration.
What happened to Hannah? Was it her that married in Lewisham June 1880, in which case her relationship with Lovett did not last.
You may have to purchase possible certificates in the hope that you get the correct one.

Offline esteele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 May 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest Rosebur.  I have come to all those conclusions myself, especially about the boy born in Plomesgate.   Also on the baptism register, the names given as parents are Jeremiah and HANNAH which gives more credence to the fact that she might be his mother.   I think Hannah did marry John Reeve as he came from Saxstead, On the 1881 Census, Hannah Reeve is with him in Stoke Newington and it says she was born in Wilby.  Family memories say that she went to Canada Quebec.

Thomas George joined the Police force between 1901 census and when he married in 1905.  Is there some way of checking him through the Met police admission records.

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 May 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
I understand that records for the Metropolitan Police are deposited at the National Archives at Kew