Author Topic: Edward Mackay, fisherman,Durness  (Read 3062 times)

Offline jmacka24

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Mackay, fisherman,Durness
« on: Wednesday 12 May 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm trying to find details of my ggf Edward Mackay, he was in Badcall Inchard in 1881.  He had children with Christina (Christy) Horsburgh (d of James Horsburgh and Johan Macdonald), who was later called Mackay but I don't know if they ever married.

Thanks

John

Offline LostScottishRite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Mackay, fisherman,Durness
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 23 04:01 BST (UK) »
Christina Horsburgh was my great  Grandmother's name. My mother is Doris Horsburgh born in Glasgow 79yrs old today. We live in Caanda. Her mother was Mary Horsburgh and dad Joseph Horsburgh. Hope this helps. Bryan

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 10:20 BST (UK) »
Your post begs a great many questions and you need to provide more information if you want others to help you. 

How do you know that Edward Mackay was a fisherman from Durness and that he was in Badcall Inchard in 1881?  (These two places are quite far apart - opposite sides of the county, in fact.)  Have you found Edward Mackay and/or Christina Horsburgh in the 1881 census or in any other censuses?   (Censuses will give you their ages, marital status, occupations and birthplaces.)  Have you looked for a possible marriage certificate?  What were the names, dates and places of birth of their children?  Where did you find the names of Christina Horsburgh's parents?

You can look on ScotlandsPeople (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk) for help in answering these and other questions.  It's a pay-per-view site, but modestly priced and you can download digital images of original documents instantly.  (The indexes are free to view once you have registered.)

I hope this helps.

Margow

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
The only Edward Mackay in Sutherland in 1881 is Edward Mackay (I regularise the spelling), aged 43, at a place recorded as Lerin (various mistranscriptions of the name are found in the census returns over the years). The place is Leirinmore (a simple Leirin with any spelling isn't recorded anywhere in Sutherland, but maybe the place was known simply as Leirin to the locals in these years). Leirinmore is on the north coast and Badcall, by Loch Inchard, lies on the opposite side of the county. In 1881 we find Edward Mackay 43 with his wife Flora, 32, and children Jane 5 and James 3. They are still there in 1891, with Edward 54, Flora 43, Jane 16, James 14, John 8, George 6, Mary Ann 4, and Edward's mother-in-law, Jane Macdonald, 85, b. Durness
Edward Mackay married Flora Forbes Macdonald in 1875, Registration District of Durness, Sutherland. Edward died, aged 80, in 1918.
Edward is recorded as aged 14, at home with father James and mother Mary in the 1851 Census returns.

There's no recorded marriage of an Edward Mackay to a Christina anything anywhere in Scotland until we see an Edward Mackay marrying a Christina Jamieson in Edinburgh in 1894 and they appear in Hawick in Roxburghshire in 1901. Edward is a "dish hawker", both he and his wife were born in Perthshire.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 21:13 BST (UK) »
Just a note. The OP, John, has not been back online here since 10 January 2011. Hope his email is still active and he gets an update about this new info  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 21:49 BST (UK) »
Leirinmore and Leirinbeg are one either side of the famous Smoo Cave at Durness, on the north coast of Sutherland. https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NC4266.

Badcall is on the west coast of Sutherland. It is 29 miles from Leirinmore to Badcall - a longish and quite demanding single day's walk. https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NC2455.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 22:33 BST (UK) »
"Leirinmore and Leirinbeg are one either side of the famous Smoo Cave at Durness, on the north coast of Sutherland. https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NC4266"

Yes, that's perfectly correct, but the census entries don't specify -which- "Leirin" is being enumerated. The place is recorded (various transcriptions, as I said) just as Lerin, so we can't on the face of it say exactly where he was living at the time.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 November 23 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Apart from the ground officer/land steward's house, formerly occupied by the Gunns, and which passed out of my family two days ago, there were no other dwellings on Lerinbeg in the late 19th century, so in respect of any croft house "Lerin" inevitably meant Lerinmore.