Author Topic: Another PARKINSON, Gladstone SA, query - COMPLETED  (Read 1757 times)

Offline yt2

• RootsChat Member
  • Always happy to swap information - contact me
    • View Profile
Another PARKINSON, Gladstone SA, query - COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 13 May 10 06:01 BST (UK) »
   Re: PARKINSON, Thomas James - 1936 South Aust Death lookup please
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 December 09 06:48 GMT (UK) »   

~~~~~~~~
Cando,

Can you please check Vic. I have several possible children of William and Elizabeth (Well father William at marriage anyway) Including possibly interesting Caroline and Matilda (given Whitey's wife's ancestors name) and there was also a Margaret (Thomas and Janet also had a Margaret.)

I have had no luck finding an arrival in SA so far for William, Elizabeth or any of their possible children from the marriage index. William and Elizabeth did not marry nor have any children registered in SA.

The quote is a response from Kris in an earlier treasure hunt at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,425840.15.html

I don't want to exhaust your generosity folks, but given the wonderful success we have had populating the tree for Thomas James Parkinson and Janet (Greig) Parkinson, I wonder whether it might be possible to now revisit the spot we got to in the hyper link and see whether we can find some detail for TJP's parents, William (b. c1806, d. 27May1890) and Elizabeth Parkinson (b. c1810, d. 25Jun1879).

I understand Kris's bottom line comment (  ;D ), but I'd be particularly interested in knowing something about any children they had other than Thomas James.

Both William and Elizabeth  are buried in Gladstone cemetery

Always appreciative

Whitey
I live near Merimbula, NSW, Australia and am interested in the following families
White of Adelaide
Greene of Adelaide
Canny of Co Clare Ireland and Robe SA
Atkinson of Co Mayo Ireland
Ford of St Austell Cornwall and Burra SA
Gibbs of Oxfordshire and Cannington WA
Daley of Carlton Vic and Oaklands SA
McMahon of Marion SA
Denholm of Edinburgh Scotland and Lyndoch SA
Parkinson of Angaston SA

Offline SandraTea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another PARKINSON, Gladstone SA, query
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Whitey

I am an absolute novice at this RootsChat - very rarely look nor get involved - and whilst I haven't visited my PARKINSON research for a number of years, I have just come across your messages and thought I would put you out of your misery!

Thomas James Parkinson is the son of William PARKINSON & Elizabeth SHIELS who married 1831 Inch, Co Down, Ireland. William & Elizabeth arrived Sydney 1837 per "Andromache" with their daughter Jane (my gt-gt grandmother). Another daughter was born in Ireland, but died in infancy. They settled at Penrith and had the following children: Margaret (1839) married James Wilson; William (1841) married Margaret Hill; Samuel (b&d 1843), Thomas James (1845), Matilda (1847) married Humphry Mildren (brother of Jane's husband, Jacob Lory Mildren); and Caroline bc. 1850/51. Caroline's birth is not registered in NSW, SA nor Vic. She is buried at Gladstone with William & Elizabeth.

William & Elizabeth moved from Penrith to SA either very late 1840s / early 1850s.

Trust this is of assistance and should point you in the right direction for future research.

Regards
Sandra

Offline yt2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 22:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million, Sandra ... PM is on the way.

Interestingly, while William and Elizabeth are there, I cannot (yet) locate Caroline in the Gladstone cemetery records. That'll keep me amused for a while.

Whitey
I live near Merimbula, NSW, Australia and am interested in the following families
White of Adelaide
Greene of Adelaide
McMahon of Marion SA
Parkinson of Angaston SA

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 May 10 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Whitey,

Lovely to have Sandra join you with this valuable information  ;D

PAYNE Thomas William 29 single father Thomas Wm PAYNE =  PARKINSON Caroline 20 single father William PARKINSON 28 Mar 1871 Res of William Parkinson Belvidere Dist Kap 86 599

PAYNE Thomas William died 21 Mar 1877 Gladstone Dist Cla 79 418. He was aged status not recorded relative Thomas PARKINSON Brother in Law residence Gladstone.

http://www.nacouncil.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=8385

EVANS William Mildren 26 single father William Henry MILDREN = PAYNE  Caroline 27 widow father William PARKINSON 13 Jun 1878 Res of T Parkinson Booleroo Dist Fro 115/959

EVANS Caroline died 6 Aug 1882 Crystal Brook Dist Cla 121 400. She was aged married relative William EVANS husband residence Huddlestone

http://www.nacouncil.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=6610

I note William and Elizabeth are at plots 34 and 35

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 May 10 01:45 BST (UK) »
Looks like only the one child

PAYNE Lewis 20 Jan 1873 Marrabel Dist Gol 117 389 parents Thomas William PAYNE and Caroline PARKINSON

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 May 10 01:57 BST (UK) »
BISA

PAYNE Thos Wm arrived by 1873 occupation Carpenter residence Marrabel
married Caroline child Louis  born about 1873

Offline SandraTea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 May 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris & Whitey

Well, Kris, your post just about bowled me over!

I knew Caroline Parkinson married Thomas William Payne, and then married a "W M Evans".  Because I haven't looked for years, and had obtained the marriage reference from the "old" SA Marriage Index (when it was next to useless and you were lucky if it provided anything more than initials!), I did not know that WM stood for William Mildren!

I note from the Marriage Index that William Mildren EVANS' father is William Henry Mildren.  William Henry was a brother of Jacob Lory (md Jane Parkinson) & Humphry (md Matilda Parkinson).

In 1991 I published a book on the MILDREN family and we knew that William Henry Mildren married Eliza Evans, a widow, who had a son William Evans born 29 July 1851.  At that stage, we did not know Eliza Evans' maiden name.  I have just checked the SA Birth Index and note WM Evans' birth is not registered under Evans or Mildren!  Obviously from the marriage entry (and I will look at the marriage certificate when visiting the SAGHS library) he gives his father's name as WH Mildren.  On the other hand, he may simply have given William Henry Mildren as his father because WH would have been the only "father" he had ever known.

Coincidentally, the first "known" child of William Henry Mildren & Eliza was Jacob Henry who married his first cousin, Elizabeth Parkinson Mildren (dau of Jacob Lory Mildren & Jane Parkinson).

Regards
Sandra

Offline yt2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 May 10 23:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kris and thanks Sandra.

Putting all that together gives me a birth year for Caroline, 2 marriages and a death date/location for her as Caroline Evans. No wonder I couldn't find her as Caroline Parkinson.

Aaah well ... now off to the database for some more updating.

Whitey
White of Adelaide
Greene of Adelaide
McMahon of Marion SA
Parkinson of Angaston SA