Author Topic: Leyton, Municipal Borough - 1944  (Read 5612 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Leyton, Municipal Borough - 1944
« on: Thursday 13 May 10 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

It's been a while, but I'm back!  I have been watching Blitz Street on channel 4 which has triggered my brain into action.

On 29th January 1944, my 2xGt Grandfather and his third wife were killed by a flying bomb at 37 Ashville Road, Leytonstone.  The cemetery/memorial is listed as Leyton, Municipal Borough. 

Harry Richard Edgley - 83
Florence Layton Edgley - age 67

Can anyone shed any light on:

a)  Where the cemetery/memorial is?  How would I find out if they were buried there?
b)  What happened there on that night?  Are there any reports?

Many thanks!

Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Leyton, Municipal Borough - 1944
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 May 10 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Are you sure about the date or that it was a 'flying bomb'?

The first flying bomb (V1) to hit London (Grove Road E4) was not until 13 Jun 1944. The first V2 rocket exploded at Staveley Road, Chiswick on 8 Sep 1944.

East London was, however, bombed on the night of Saturday 29 Jan 1944. The raid was mentioned in The Times of Monday 31 Jan 1944 although no names of those who were killed were given. The article 'Scattered Bombing By Enemy' (page 4, column G) states:

'The most serious incident in the capital was a direct hit on a passageway used as a shelter. At least nine people were killed and others were injured. Eight people were killed and 11 seriously injured when a bomb demolished houses in an outer London district and five people were killed when two surface shelters were hit'.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 May 10 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your quick reply.  I am sure of the date - http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=3108268 - which also tallies up with the info received from a late Great Aunt.  The flying bomb part also came from her, but obviously, she would not have been an expert!  She would have been 33 at the time of the bombing, so well into adulthood.

The newspaper information is very interesting - perhaps they were two of the eight people killed in the demolishion of houses?  Typically, I now have no one left who was around at the time, so have no way of any first hand accounts.

Thanks again.

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 May 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Leytonstone is part of the London borough of Waltham Forest. The links to their archives at Vestry House is in the help guide at the top of the London and Middlesex board

A guide to local studies libraries and other useful archives situated in London

They hold photographs (often censored at the time, along with newspaper articles) and bomb maps so will be able to supply more information.

The other guide at the top of the London and Middlesex board

A guide to London burials will give you the name of all the London cemeteries in the Waltham Forest area and a web link to each.

Regards

Valda

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 May 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
A hint for this on CWGC: click on the name of the cemetery/memorial and check through all the names for deaths on the same date. This might not pick up everyone but it will give you some idea.

Other casualties:
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=3108253
at Leytonstone Station

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=3108403
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=3108404
36 Pearcroft Road
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=3108311
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=3108312
38 Pearcroft Road

Pearcroft Road and Ashville Road run parallel to each other. Actually when I asked Google Maps to show directions between 36/38 Pearcroft and 37 Ashville, those addresses may have backed onto each other.

http://sticks-home.blogspot.com/ - this person lived at 39 Pearcroft Road at the time (has a mention of the same bombing).

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 May 10 02:09 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!  Thanks for all the pointers!  Will look into them all and see what I can find.

Thanks again.

Regards, Emma ;)

Offline Fanflame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 March 20 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emma,

Thank you for putting up a question on Harry and Emma Edgeley who were killed on 29th January 1944 during a bombing raid.

I know it was in 2010 you posted but I am just looking at their details as I am a descendant although distant. Harry was the brother of my great grandfather I believe (at this time) My father attended his cousin Connie's funeral in late 2017 or early 2018 and I was passed part of her family tree which I recently found again in the bottom of a drawer!  ::)

Did you get to the bottom of the air raid??

Every blessing

Brian (Edgeley)
Edgeley, Edgley, Dwight, Holloway, Pinnegar, Clark

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 March 20 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your message. I haven't looked at this for a little while, so will need to look at my other records...don't I sound organised?!

Which of Harry's relatives do you link to? It's always nice to make the link!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 March 20 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Harry Edgeley and Florence Layton Edgeley were buried 4 February 1944 at the City of London Cemetery.
Burial register here
https://col-burialregisters.uk/archive/burial-registers-january-1940-to-december-1949/register-083/1094118