Author Topic: Calne Wiltshire lookups please COMPLETED  (Read 1302 times)

Offline wattleflat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Calne Wiltshire lookups please COMPLETED
« on: Friday 14 May 10 09:19 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane Rivers born c1871 had an illigitimate child Beatrice May Rivers 1892-1979. All I know is that the father was a Farmer Ray as my mother said he was called. Mary was a worker in his household, but I don't think she lived "in the household" as she and her daughter Beatrice are listed as living with her parents in the 1891 census. 
What I would like to know is, is there any records of landholders where I might be able to find this "Farmer Ray?"
They were both living in the Calne Without Parish in area in 1901.
Cheers Terry
Smith, Ealey, Rivers, Stevens, Price, Denahy, Saunders,

Offline wattleflat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Calne Wiltshire lookups please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 10 09:33 BST (UK) »
OOps, I made a boo boo. Mary & Beatrice were living with her parents in the 1871 census
Sorry, Cheers Terry

Offline las camelias

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 May 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,

This may or may not be of help! 

On the assumption that Mary Jane Rivers was working close to her home in 1891 (the year prior to Beatrice's birth), I looked through all the census pages for Calne Without (11 of them) for a "Farmer Ray" - which could be a christian or surname, but nothing obvious.   If farm workers or service people didn't live in, they would have to be in reasonable walking distance of their place of employment.

There is an entry immediately above the Rivers family for a Thomas Cambray age 22 - a farmer's son - about the same age as Mary Jane!  It's a long shot I know, but could Thomas Cambray have been known as Ray, the last three letters of his surname?

PS You say Mary and her daughter Beatrice are listed as living with her parents on the 1891 Census - I can't see Beatrice there, just Mary aged 20.

LC

Offline wattleflat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 May 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi LC, Yes I realize now I made another boo boo about Mary & Betrice.  :(
There may be something in what you say,  being still relatively new to this game, I have not developed the powers of deduction that all you wonderful people have. I certainly will do some delving into.
Thank you very much for your help
Cheers Terry