Author Topic: Agnes Harris  (Read 851 times)

Offline tobeygeorge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Agnes Harris
« on: Saturday 26 March 05 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for info on my grandmother Agnes Harris of Wiswell. She was born in 1882 and at the time of the 1901 census, she lived at 46 Moss St. She lived with her mother Betsy (Hayhurst) Harris, 3 sisters, 1 brother, and a boarder. I think Betsy was separated from her husband Cyrus. Agnes married James Baron and emmigrated to the USA.I am looking for emmigration info, and  I am trying to find out if she was married at that time or married in the USA. Also I am trying to find info on her father Cyrus and her grandparents. I have a photo of her grandmother Harris but no first name or info about her.
Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Tobey :)

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Harris
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 05 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tobey,

Sorry I can't help with the USA side but this might be useful extra info.

I think Cyrus Hayhurst was Betsy's father and Agnes's grandfather.  It also looks like Agnes Harris was named after her grandmother Agnes Hayhurst.

1871 Wiswell  Lancashire   

Cyrus Hayhurst 59 b Wiswell, Lancashire, England Head 
Agnes Hayhurst 60 b Church Kirk, Lancashire, England Wife 
Betsy Hayhurst 21 b Wiswell, Lancashire, England Daughter 
Edwin Taylor 52  Accrington, Lancashire, England Boarder 

A possible Marriage on FreeBMD Oct-Dec 1878 (Ref 8e 457) Clitheroe district
Betsy Hayhurst and Richard Harris.  This would explain Betsy's son still having her surname.

1881 Wiswell   

Richard Harris abt 1855 b Worcestershire, England Head 
Betsy Harris abt 1850 b Wiswell, Lancashire, England Wife 
Mary Ann Harris abt 1877 b Wiswell, Lancashire, England Daughter 
Caroline Harris abt 1879 b Wiswell, Lancashire, England Daughter   

Also in Wiswell 1881:

Cyrus Hayhurst b abt 1812 Wiswell  (Betsy's father ?)
John Thomas Hayhurst Grandson b Wiswell abt 1874 (Betsy's son?)

Hope that helps explain a couple of things but any ideas what happened to Richard Harris?

Debbie  ;)

Offline tobeygeorge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 05 04:06 BST (UK) »
When I get this all worked out, how and where do I apply for birth and death certificates?   Tobey

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 05 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Tobey

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Go to this link, and on the right hand side is a link to ordering certs online.  The GRO is very efficient at getting the certs to you, the standard cert costs £7 and I have got quite a few this way...

As I don't live in the UK this is my way of getting the certs to me at a reasonable price...

Best wishes and happy hunting

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland