Author Topic: Regstrar Office for Banffshire?  (Read 2902 times)

Offline SThom

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regstrar Office for Banffshire?
« on: Saturday 15 May 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
First of all, I like to say that this is a wonderful website!  I have to make sure I am not on it all day!

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a Registrar Office in Aberdeen and if this is for all of Banffshire as well as Aberdeenshire.  I am hoping to be in Aberdeen in August for a couple of days and also Banff.
Thank you.
THOM, ANDREW, RAEBURN/REBURN for Banffshire.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Regstrar Office for Banffshire?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 May 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi & welcome to RootChat.

I did a quick search for Aberdeen Council & looked at their website - these are the current Register Offices in their area:
http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/Births/bir/bir_registering_births_and_deaths.asp

Someone with more local knowledge may be able to answer about the areas they cover.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 May 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
welcome to rootschat.If you click on this link you'll find a directory of all the registrars in Scotland. Regards,
flst
www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files1/registration/reglist.pdf
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 May 10 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hello SThom

If you're going to be in Aberdeen and do research in the North East - you would be well advised to book an hour in the 'Search Room'.  They have access to Scotlandwide records - up to the present day - well 2006 ish anyway.  The cost is insignificant.  It'll save a lot of time and sweat.  Regards,  Steve   :)

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/Births/bir/bir_searchroom.asp

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 May 10 16:54 BST (UK) »
Last time I used the registrars' offices for research, the one in Banff had all the books for Banffshire up to 1900, and death 1901 to 1939, for the whole of the county of Banff. The rest (i.e. the later books) were in the local registrars' offices in Keith, Buckie etc.

However I stopped going to registrars' offices a few years ago when they started charging £10 per hour for access to the records, even though they now have access to the full computerised system. I prefer to spend £10 for a full day's access in the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh.

So the books they have now in Banff may not be the same as they had before they started charging so much.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jennie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 June 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi SThom

If you are planning a trip to Aberdeen, it may be beneficial to contact the Family History Society there.  I believe they are very helpful.  They are located near the centre of the City which is handy.

Check out their website
http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/

Kind Regards

Jennie
CARLISLE   Kendal, Westmorland
DINSDALE  Kendal, Westmorland
WRIGHT     Warton (Nr Kirkham), Baxenden, Blackburn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk