Author Topic: Where were they ?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where were they ?
« on: Saturday 15 May 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
I've got a Joseph Asher who served for 22 years in the Second Foot Guard (according to his baptism date, & age at discharge  he would have left c 1795) Is there any way of finding out where he would have served ? I believe he may have fathered one or two illegitimate sons who later came/were brought to Britain

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where were they ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 May 10 09:21 BST (UK) »
The Coldstream Guards from 1772 to your man's leaving the services were in Germany and the Peninsular Campaign in 1794. There will obviously have been in other places. Your best route to take is, The Archivist, Coldstream Guards,  Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London SW1E 6HQ, There may be a charge of £30

James

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 10 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, James

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 10 10:12 BST (UK) »
By the way, that would fit in....one of the possible sons disappears (probably dies...can't find a death...but I'm looking into the possibility that he might have joined up & been killed...I do have someone of the right age & name ...except that it's unclear if the entry says Asher or Usher. (Ancestry has it in their index as Asher but valda has had a look & reckons it looks like Usher)..who died in a military hospital in London in the narrow timeframe between 1817 & 1820, which would be appropriate , taking into account the conception of his last child & the conception of a child by his wife by her second husband.) The other possible  son is on the census as having been born in Germany .

So, what I've got for this possible son who died is William Asher/Usher, buried 4/7/1817, aged 24, St Margaret's, Westminster...2nd Regt Hospital.

Are there any Army records I could consult to find out where he was from ?

Thanks

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 May 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
As I mentioned earlier the Archivist at the Coldstream Guards will for a fee of  £30 do some research into former members of the Regiment, The campaign in the Peninsular War ended when the French Army was chased across the Pyrenees and was defeated at the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815, I don't know if British Troops remained in France after that battle though it's reasonable to assume that they did.

It may be that the only reference to your man will be at the Regimental HQ - Any other info on wives,children and camp followers for that period, I would hazard a guess as being rather scarce.

Good Luck

James

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, James. Valda reckons that the fact that he was in the "2nd Regt Hospital" doesn't necessarily tell us which regiment he was in...interesting to try & follow up, though