Author Topic: Re: My lexmark all on one {completed}  (Read 1895 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My lexmark all on one {completed}
« on: Saturday 15 May 10 22:56 BST (UK) »
I have had small problem with my Printer which i have had a go at trying to fix on and off since last year in-between using my spare one.Since around the same time last year in the summer, I noticed the Icon by my Lexmark Is a red ring with a red line through the middle.What does this mean please I think i know but the printer will work it just has a blip. Just wondered if the red ring could give me a clue.

Celia     P.S I forgot to say the Icon on my installed programs
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My lexmark all on one
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia

Is this icon a shortcut? It will be 1Kb in size and have an arrow in a box in the bottom LH corner. If so where is it? and what happens when you click on it? The symbol sounds like a No Entry sign, ie it does not work. If you have switched printers both should appear in the printer drop down box, as the PC will know they are separate. So the faulty icon may mean it is not the default. Or the printer may be able to tell you that it requires attention.

Ken

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 May 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
Ken                                                                                       

as mentioned the icon is in my installed programs.The printer was installed years ago.Yes the printer does need attention,i am trying to find which bit ;D.A week Saturday I ordered 2 new re-filled lexmarx inks even though mine were not fully empty from my usual supplier.I told the nice man the reason i was ordering 2 i didn't need though it might sort the problem.I still hadn't got them by Friday,so i contacted him he thought it might be the cartridge as they were having trouble getting the empties and he couldn't find any to refill for me,( people don't send them back)I did get them later.When i put both of them in I printed  the test page then a photo (so it cant be the cartridges), but because of the lines i had to clean the heads twice.I needed to do it again on the third or fourth time the printer went though the motions up to.You have successfully printed your Whatever ;D then it stopped half way and cancelled the printing.I got back in touch with the man on yesterday and he said he has sent me two more inks.So I will have to see what happens with those.I have downloaded the printer program from the lexmark website,but not sure if i should install it it not.In case it messes up the photo edit program.
What do you think?

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia

Sorry I am not an expert on printers. Although experience leads me to believe that once you start to spend money trying to fix them you should consider replacing it. I am not a fan of re-filling cartridges especially if you use it for photographs. If you buy official ones, but from say Ebay you can save money as I know local suppliers charge a small fortune. Although the big superstores sell them now as well.

For photograph printing I am afraid I go to Jessops.

Ken

Offline Ron Lankshear

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ron in the Bush near his Sydney home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 May 10 09:06 BST (UK) »
I'd assume the Icon problem means the driver is out of date. perhaps you recently installed Windows SP3.
SO if you have a correct new program for the printer try to install.

But if you are finding problems getting cartridges then buy a new printer - really the cost nowadays is all in the cartridges - the printer itself is almost "free"

And as someone else said print photos somewhere else - it really is cheaper for long lasting prints
Ron was born in Shepherds Bush and "knew" London fairly well
LANKSHEAR EAGLE SKEGGS RUSSELL HAYBALL HALE ROBBINS KING PAXFORD PAIGE
family history with many research links for everyone at
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~lankshear/

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 10 10:20 BST (UK) »
Most printers have a button you can press for a Test Print.  Sometimes that button is called Demo.  Can you manually print a Test Print i.e. without sending a printjob from your computer?
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 May 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
Although experience leads me to believe that once you start to spend money trying to fix them you should consider replacing it.
Ken I cant remember the last thing i paid out for to be fixed,4 years ago maybe when i had my P.C.sent in to fix a problem.It came back with more problems than it had before.So i now fix things myself :) I put the printer program in I downloaded but it made no difference :( I have never had any problems with the lexmark refilled cartridges.Have used them for years
Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 May 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
perhaps you recently installed Windows SP3.

Lanksher,No I never download or install programs from the net.With the exception of the one i downloaded the other day as i said it made no difference.I order my ink from the net,because the one shop that does sell cartridges is far to expensive plus it saves on the legwork ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 May 10 22:13 BST (UK) »
Most printers have a button you can press for a Test Print.  Sometimes that button is called Demo.  Can you manually print a Test Print i.e. without sending a printjob from your computer?

Downside I never knew that I do have 4 buttons but never used the bottom 2 one with a black dot on the other with 3 coloured ones.So those will be the demo ones i presume,But they didn't print out. I have unplugged the printer for now and i am waiting for a reply from Lexmark.If it cant be fixed i wont buy another printer,on the shelf i  have my first  flat screen, that lasted 12 months, 2 Glass sidelights that switch themselves on ;D and a D.V.D Player with a sick draw,that wont shut up.
So I will let you know happens if anything ::)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials